Stacked Columns Chart with Percentage Labels

Missyd

I have a stacked columns chart where I'm trying to use data labels formatted as percentages of each column. The Data Labels tab in the Chart Options dialog shows that the percentage option is grayed out.

Does that mean that percentage labels aren't available for this specific type of chart? Is there a way to work around that or is there a different chart type I should be using to do what I'm trying to do here?

Thanks,
Missy

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Missy,

I don't know if this would work for you but you could create a calculated column for the percentages, and use this as the source data for the stacked column.
Alternatively, if you don't have too many data series, use a pie chart

Denis

Upvote 0
Denis,

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually trying to help someone else with this and he didn't want to use the calculated columns option. He thought it would get too complicated because the charts would be dynamic. He didn't want to use the pie charts or the 100% stacked column options because he would lose the relative reference among the columns.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Missy

Upvote 0
You could still use the percentage column with dynamic charts, but I guess it depends how many categories you are tracking. And yes, you would lose the relativity between datasets.
There are some serious charting gurus out there -- maybe their sites will give some clues. Try searching Google for Jon Peltier, Stephen Bullen or Tushar Mehta

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrauni

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back