Stacking Columns

rjbinney

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
My Google skills have found ways to combine multiple columns into ONE column; I'm trying to figure out how to do TWO columns.

Basically, I have received data from a survey.
Every other column is the Question on the survey, then the next column is the Answer. (i.e., |Q1|A1|Q2|A2|Qn|An|). Each row is a new respondent's set of answers. Sixty-seven questions, 140 respondents.

I'd like column A to be a stack of all questions, and B to be all responses. (That is, rows A1-A140 is Q1, B1-B140 are all the answers to Q2, A141-A280 is Q2, B141-B280 a list of all the answers, and so on).

Seems easy enough, but...?

Thanks

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Try:
Code:
Sub CopyCols()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim LastRow As Long, lCol As Long, x As Long
    LastRow = Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
    lCol = ActiveSheet.Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
    For x = 3 To lCol Step 2
        Cells(1, x).Resize(LastRow, 2).Copy Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
    Next x
    Range(Cells(1, 3), Cells(1, lCol)).EntireColumn.Delete
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
Effin' brilliant. Worked like a charm out of the gate.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
Your are very welcome. :)

Upvote 0
I got excited when I read this post as it comes closest to the same thing I am trying to accomplish. I have little to no knowledge of VBA so I don't really understand the code to determine what I need to alter - while its similar to writing formulas in cells, it is simultaneously different.
Any chance you'd be willing to explain each step in the code? Im trying to stack 4 column ranges (AEI:AEZ,AFB:AFS,AFU:AGL,AGN:AHE) into 4 separate columns (AHK,AHM,AHO,AHQ) respectively, and sequentially (meaning AEI, then AEJ, then AEK and so on - the same for each of the ranges) without coping blank cells. The information in the 4 column ranges populates once I click a button on a userform and was hoping to tie it in with that sequence of events. I have tried countless codes I acquired online through various pages but I'm either altering them wrong, its not what I need, or Im placing them in the wrong area - hence the reason for trying to understand what you've provided so I can possibly figure out how to accomplish what I'm looking to do. Thanks in advance for your help.

Upvote 0
According to forum rules you should start your own thread. Please do that and send me a private message with a link to your thread and I'll have a look at it. :)

Upvote 0
My apologies sir, I appreciate your response in any case. Thank you for the warning.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back