Standard Deviation without calculating HPR

Raphael Excel

I would like to calculate Geometric and Arithmetic standard deviation of a sample without calculating intermediate HPR returns.

ie: data set

I cannot compute intermediate HPR values (300/200)-1, (400/300)-1 etc.

I need to calculate standard deviation of above sample by using only one cell for Arithmetic standard deviation and only one cell for Geometric standard deviation.

I think there's a way using an array function control-shift enter but not sure how.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Is there some reason you can't use one of the EXCEL Standard deviation functions: STDEV, STDEV.P STDEV.A etc

Upvote 0
With your data in A1:A4....

For the arithmetic std dev, array-enter (press ctrl+shift+Enter instead of just Enter) the following:

=STDEV(A2:A4 / A1:A3 - 1)

That is the estimated std dev based on a sample. Use STDEVP for the exact std dev.

For the geometric std dev, we calculate the arithmetic std dev of the log values. Array-enter the following:

=EXP(STDEV(LN(A2:A4 / A1:A3))) - 1
or
=10^STDEV(LOG(A2:A4 / A1:A3))) - 1

Note: It is debatable whether to just calculate the log std dev -- that is, just STDEV(LN...) or STDEV(LOG...). I believe we should only use the geometric std dev with the log distribution, assuming a log normal distribution.

Upvote 0
Solution
PS....
It is debatable whether to just calculate the log std dev -- that is, just STDEV(LN...) or STDEV(LOG...). I believe we should only use the geometric std dev with the log distribution, assuming a log normal distribution.

But in that case, you would also calculate the log mean, not the geometric mean. (Refer to your other thread.) In other words, array-enter the following:

=AVERAGE(LN(A2:A4 / A1:A3))
or
=AVERAGE(LOG(A2:A4 / A1:A3))

Upvote 0
PPS (with apologies for the incessant postings)....
It is debatable whether to just calculate the log std dev -- that is, just STDEV(LN...) or STDEV(LOG...). I believe we should only use the geometric std dev with the log distribution, assuming a log normal distribution.
But in that case, you would also calculate the log mean, not the geometric mean. (Refer to your other thread.) In other words, array-enter the following:
=AVERAGE(LN(A2:A4 / A1:A3))
or
=AVERAGE(LOG(A2:A4 / A1:A3))

Well, duh.... Normally-enter (just press Enter as usual):

=LN((A4/A1)^(1/3))
or
=LOG((A4/A1)^(1/3))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back