Startup macro cannot be skipped, among other things

dsdavids

I have a template with an event procedure on Workbook_Open. Use to be that when I want to modify the template, I hold down shift key and it would skip all startup procedures and just open to the last viewed worksheet. Now I have three specific problems:
-shift key on open has no effect, startup procedure always runs.
-in the startup procedure the getsaveas functions calls for new file name and then activeworkbook.save is called to save the new file. This fails, returns message just saying workbook not saved.
-further down in the procedure a line calls to activate a specific sheet, this fails with error 1004. The line uses "worksheets("worksheetname").activate". I've tried every other syntax. They won't work in immediate window either.

The real kicker is that most of the procedures in the template have been working with no issues for years (activating the worksheet is one) and have not been changed. Then I find, after studying and debugging and trying for many hours to figure out what is causing the problem, the template works fine on other workstations. It only has these problems on my own PC where I created it and use it daily.
I thought at first that an add-in was hijacking the focus and so the active workbook was being superceded but in the immediate window. I can query the active workbook, "?application.activeworkbook.name", and get the expected return.
when I then try "?application.activeworkbook.activesheet" the intellisense does not give me any properties or methods for the sheet.
I unloaded all add-ins anyway and still the same results. It actually seems that it started immediately after I installed faceid browser. I've now uninstalled, unloaded and deleted all traces of that with no change.

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back