Argento_Nuclear

I am trying to find the standard deviation for data presented in different ranges and I am currently using the following equation:
=+STDEV.S(IF((e7a1!A12:A1010>=Primary!K$5)*e7a1!A12:A1010<=Primary!K$6);INDEX(Table1;0;MATCH($D19;Table1[#Headers];0));))

The reason for the formatting is that its for data across a time span based on a column name.

However, I am not getting the right answer out of this as when I compare it to:
=STDEV.S(e7a1!JM49:JM69)

Using the second option where I am manually selecting the same range I am trying to select using equation 1, I am getting the correct answer where as using equation 1 I do not.

I would appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
I suspect that you want to write:

Rich (BB code):
=STDEV.S(IF((e7a1!A12:A1010>=Primary!K$5)*(e7a1!A12:A1010<=Primary!K$6);INDEX(Table1;0;MATCH($D19;Table1[#Headers];0)))

The key is the addition of the red-highlighted left-parenthesis, balanced by removing a right-parenthesis at the end.

Also note the omission of the "+" after "=". It serves no useful purpose.

You might consider STDEV.P instead of STDEV.S. STDEV.P is the actual std dev of the data. STDEV.S is the approximate std dev of a larger "population", assuming that your data is a "sample".

Lastly, you might consider wrapping IFERROR around the STDEV function, in case there is not at least two rows of data that meet the conditions. Something like:

Rich (BB code):
=IFERROR(STDEV.S(IF((e7a1!A12:A1010>=Primary!K$5)*(e7a1!A12:A1010<=Primary!K$6);INDEX(Table1;0;MATCH($D19;Table1[#Headers];0))), "")

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back