STDEV(IF(... with Contains ["*"&A1&"*"] condition returns #DIV/0!

chrisjwmartin

Hello all, and thanks in advance for your help.

I have an STDEV array formula in cells D12:J16 to calculate the standard deviation of a column of the separate RawData sheet. The RawData sheet contains a row of variable names, and then 1000 rows of data. The particular variable column that I am looking at contains in each cell a string of various words, e.g. "Word1", "Word2,Word3", "Word6,Word4,Word5", etc. The STDEV array formula refers to: cells D10:J10, which contain the variable name; cells D11:J11, which contain the word being looked up ("Word1" to "Word6"); and cells A12:A16, which contain the variable name of the column to be calculated.

I am using Excel 2010. I know to CSE.

Code:
{=STDEV(IF(OFFSET(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(2,MATCH(D$10,RawData!$1:$1,0),,,"RawData")),0,0,1000,1)="*"&D$11&"*",
OFFSET(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(2,MATCH($A12,RawData!$1:$1,0),,,"RawData")),0,0,1000,1)))}

When I use just D$11 as the condition instead of "*"&D$11&"*", the formula works and provides me with 1.34, but this is only examining the cases where "Word1" is the only thing in the string. I want to include cases such as "Word2,Word1,Word4", i.e. a Contains condition, but the "*" approach, which works for other formulae, returns #DIV/0! for me.

Have I made a mistake somewhere? Is there something I need to do to get this to work?

I cannot provide my worksheet for confidentiality reasons, but if you have any other questions to which you need the answer, please let me know.

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Welcome to the board.

You can't use wildcards in a standard comparison like A=B

So instead of
IF(OFFSET(INDIRECT(...))="*"&D$11&"*",...

You have to do
IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(D$11,OFFSET(INDIRECT(...)))),...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back