stdev with big data

jcb5489

I have daily values over many years of data. I need to find the standard deviation for each day from its monthly average for the complete data set. Column a has dates, column b has values. Please help.

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
I have daily values over many years of data. I need to find the standard deviation for each day from its monthly average for the complete data set. Column a has dates, column b has values.

Prof gave vlookup as a hint.

I suggest that you clarify the assignment with the prof, and/or post the problem statement exactly as it is written in the assignment. There are several interpretations based on your brief description.

My interpretation: calculate the std dev from the monthly trailing (simple) moving average ending with each daily value.

If the data is for traded securities, I would simply use 21 trade days for each month. So, I would put the formula =STDEVP(A2:A22) into C22 and copy down, assuming the data starts in row 2.

(On average, there are 252 trade days per year; hence, 252/12 = 21 trades per month. The use of STDEVP v. STDEV for this purpose is debatable.)

But if you should use VLOOKUP, perhaps "each month" is defined as the data starting up to one calendar month before. Even so, I would not use VLOOKUP. Instead, I would put the following formula into C32 and copy down:

=STDEVP(INDEX(B2:B32,MATCH(A32-30,A2:A32,1)):B32)

(The use of A32-30 v. EDATE(A32,-1) is debatable. But note what EDATE returns when A32 is Mar 31 or Oct 31, for example.)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iparraguirre89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back