stdole32.tlb error in Excel 2007 + weird Office 365 self-installation (not sure if related)

d0rian

Office Version
  1. 365
I woke up to find that my Excel 2007 (working fine for months) had crashed overnight; no big deal, I thought > I killed the process, and re-opened Excel to find that I got a weird Stdole32.tlb error window, which I clicked OK to close, after which Excel ran the configuration process that it runs when you install it for the first time. (In fact, I opened the Word 2007 that was installed at same time as part of the 2007 Home/Student Office, and while it doesn't pop up the stdole32.tlb window, it ALSO runs that initial-setup configuration dialog every time I open it now:confused:

I went to the Uninstall Program menu to run the REPAIR function on Office 2007, and noticed strangely that Office 365 is now installed on my machine with an Oct 18, 2016 installation date (today!?) I most definitely did not install that (and I don't think it was installed on my computer previously)...did Microsoft just run some auto-update thing recently that installed 365 without users' knowledge/permission? Awfully coincidental that there's a new 365 installation on my machine on same date that this stdole32 bug popped up. Any idea as to whether they're related?

Anyway, I just want to get rid of this error and return 2007 to the functioning state I've had it: What I've tried

1. Repaired Excel 2007 via the Change or Remove a program menu. Didn't help.
2. Went through the RegEdit solution that seems to be rec'd most frequently on the MS help forums. Didn't help. (Though those instructions were for Windows 8, not W10 like I have...menus looked a little different, but pretty sure I made the same revisions that were suggested.)

Questions:
1. Trying to avoid a complete removal / reinstallation of Office 2007...any suggestions?
2. Why would Office 365 appear on my computer with an install date of TODAY? (wouldn't i have had to approve that?)
3. Might the 365 thing and this new stdole32.tlb bug be related?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Last try...?
If no answer, I guess I'm stuck re-installing Office 2007 even though I'm still not sure what's going on here...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back