Stock Price Angle of Ascent

matthewlouis

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello Experts, I am trying to calculate the angle of ascent of stock prices as I am looking for an alert once that angle is over 45 degrees. Is that what the slope formula calculates using price and time? Do I then need to convert the slope to degrees?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
How do you define the slope? Is increasing in value a dollar a day a slope of 45 degrees, regardless of the stock price?

Upvote 0
Hmmmm, I am thinking S&P 500 Index went from 2497 on 9/25/2017 to 2575 by 10/20/2017. I am trying to set an alert when the angle of ascent is over 45 degrees. Like when it's on a chart and you can the line moving up . . . more than 45 degree angle. Trying to put that in excel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry, I don't have a clue what "45 degrees" means.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I mean a 45 degree angle -- If you are looking at a chart, what is the slope of the angle in degrees?

Upvote 0
Surely the angle will depend on the x axis and y axis proportions ?

For example, if you have a chart where the slope is currently 30 degrees, you can change the slope to nearer 60 degrees (or any other number) by simply stretching the chart vertically.

Upvote 0
Sorry, again I am bad at being clear. What I am looking for is I have 2 columns. One is the date (x axis) and one is the price (y axis). I am looking to calculate the slope of the line (in degrees) from one point to another point -- like over 8 days, did the price have a 38 degree angle on the chart or did it have a 65 degree angle on the chart. I have used the slope formula but am not sure it is giving me what I want (is that degrees or not)? Any stock that has a 60 degree angle upward on a chart is moving up fast. If it's only going up 15 degrees, it is a flatter, more sustainable move.

Hope that is clearer, thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Again,

Is increasing in value a dollar a day a slope of 45 degrees, regardless of the stock price?

Upvote 0
Like Gerald said, the angle will depend on the proportions of the y axis. If in your example of S&P 500 going from 2497 to 2575 the angle will vary wildly if your y axis is going by $1 increments or 10, or 100 and so on. A % change would be more accurate.

Upvote 0
Yes! Thanks shg and t0azt, I see what you're saying. The two need to be on common ground. So a % change would be more accurate . . . so how do I convert the Y axis (time) to a % change? In other words, if the S&P 500 Index went form 2488 to 2559 like it did from Sept. 25, 2017 to October 18, 2017 (18 trading days) how would I do the % change on the 18 trading days to calculate the slope (degrees)? Or, is degrees the same thing as slope? Does that explain what I mean better?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back