Stop automatic update of links in XL2007

wilkisa

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
  3. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I have searched this site and read all of the threads but no one has mentioned a fix for this problem. Surely Microsoft is aware and has either fixed it or is working on it but I am not privy to this information. Is there a clear cut fix for this or not? Is this just another bug that we have to live with? Anyone have any comments?

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Click on top left of screen and open excel options (it's at the bottom).

Select Trust Center.

In the middle right of the screen is a button labeled Trust Center Settings; click it.

Under Security Settings for Workbook Links, select Prompt User.

Select OK and you should be good to go!!

Jason

Upvote 0
Thanks, JasonC, for your response but that is already set properly. All of the other Excel settings for prompting automatic updates are also set properly, I think. I am unable to change my Edit Links box from automatic to manual because it is grayed out. My Startup Prompt is set to "Let users choose to display the alert or not".

My biggest problem is that the document opens with the correct data but after it completes its load, the update happens without any prompts and it gives us the wrong data. I need it to NOT update, just as it worked fine in XL 2003. In 2003 we were prompted to UPDATE or DON'T UPDATE. We never get that prompt and there are many people, not just in my office, who are finding that to be a huge problem.

Any other ideas???

Upvote 0
Strange..I'm using 2007 and I'm always prompted about enable links upon opening a workbook. I'm wondering if it could have to do with whither or not a file resides in a trusted location?

Upvote 0
I am truly stumped, Jason. It is a document that was created in XL 2003 and still works fine in that version. I have also created a copy of the .XLS version and converted it to .XLSM so it is not running in Compatibility Mode and I still do not get any prompts for updating. I have yet another copy of the file with a .XLSM extension that is running in Compatibility Mode but have the same result. I never get a prompt.

As a test I created two documents in Excel 2007, Link1 and Link2, with .XLSX extensions. I typed a line in Link2 and paste linked into Link1. Saved and closed Link1 then made a change in Link2, saved and closed. I reopened Link1 and got the "Security Warning - Automatic update of links has been disabled - Options...". When I click on Options I get a choice to "Help protect me from unknown content (recommended)" or "Enable this content". If I click ENABLE it automatically updates my data. If I leave it at "Help protect me" I can go into EDIT LINKS on the Data ribbon and click UPDATE VALUES. So at least we now know this part works but why don't I get a prompt when the document opens? Or, is the way it works now?

Thanks again,
Shirlene

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back