stop blank cells copying to 0

ronie85

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a master sheet and 20 sub sheets. I input data in the master and it filters through to the 20 subs and calculations are done. the problem is that on the master there are blank cells, that need to remain blank cells until i put the data in. This data is copied to the subsheets using a =sheet1a1 type of formula. what happens is when a blank cell is copied it appears in the new location as a 0. I need this to remain blank as the 0 causes calculations that I don't need and mess up a lot of the data I need. Is there a way that when it copies the new location remains blank until the data is inputed in the master sheet?

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
that works in theory but it deletes every 0 within the sheet to a blank cell, which messes up the formulas even more. I need an option to copy blank for blank and 0 for o

Upvote 0
Then sadly, I think you have no alternative other than to revise your formulas as suggested by Aladin.

Upvote 0
that works in theory but it deletes every 0 within the sheet to a blank cell, which messes up the formulas even more.

Actually it doesn't (If you're referring to Snakehips suggestion).
Unchecking "Show zero values" DOES NOT actually 'remove' the zeros, it only hides them so you can't see them.
They ARE still there.
And any formula referring to one of those cells with the hidden 0 will still see it is there and act accordingly.

Upvote 0
Actually it doesn't (If you're referring to Snakehips suggestion).
Unchecking "Show zero values" DOES NOT actually 'remove' the zeros, it only hides them so you can't see them.
They ARE still there.
And any formula referring to one of those cells with the hidden 0 will still see it is there and act accordingly.

On each sub sheet, I'm an supposed to have copied over, the blank cells, and cells with data, some of which contain a '0'. I have formulas for the row that give me a 'true' formula if there is a number in the cell. This means that it should show as 'false' for the blank cells. With copying the data over, the blank cells therefore become a 0, weather they show or not they will come up with 'true' instead of a 'false'
i need the blanks to copy as blanks and the 0s to copy as 0s

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksonnia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back