Stop cells auto-updating NOW()

DerfNotwen

Long ago in a land far away I used to use Excel all the time, but since then things and I have moved on and my Excel skills have grown rusty.

We have a spreadsheet, on which we need to record Client orders and the date/time they were received and, subsequently, dispatched.

What I would like to achieve is the date/time received fields auto-complete when the client name is entered.

I started with =IF(A2<>””, Now()) , which is all well and good as long as I don’t enter anything else on that page, otherwise it updates with the date/time when the next client details are entered.

Is there a simple way to stop this happening please, or do we have to resort to macros ?

Thanks and regards
Fred

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Is there a simple way to stop this happening please, or do we have to resort to macros ?
Yes, you need VBA. If you search on "DateStamp" or "TimeStamp", you will see this has come up thousands of times, including at least one time today.
(Note: With NOW(), even if you do not add more data, the next time you open the file it will show the current date/time. Every time any calculation is run, that value will update. So you need VBA to change that to a value and "lock it" in place).

Here is a link to the one asked already today, so you can see how it is done: how to get static timestamp - code/formula

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back