Stop links changing when file name changes.

mickyh

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Evening
I have a spreadsheet that saves data as a link on another spreadsheet but the problem is that each time I run the template all the previous links update to the new file name. is their a way to prevent this or am I missing something obvious? Thanks in advance the relevant bit of code shown below.

VBA Code:
If wbook Is Nothing Then
    Workbooks.Open FileName:=Environ("USERPROFILE") & "\Dropbox\SPSL Shared\Estimates 2021\JobList.xlsx" ' substitute for directory location of workbook and correct Filename

Workbooks("JobList.xlsx").Activate
    Worksheets("JobList").Range("A" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 1).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues
End If
Application.AskToUpdateLinks = False
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False

ThisWorkbook.Activate
    With Sheets("Markup")
    ActiveSheet.Unprotect "sandym0unt"

wbNam = Range("B102")
    dt = Format(CStr(Now), "dd_mm_yyyy")
    ChDir Environ("USERPROFILE") & "\Dropbox\SPSL Shared\Estimates 2021\Instadoor Estimates" ' Directory wher you want file saved.
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs FileName:=wbNam & " " & dt, FileFormat:=(52)

Worksheets("Markup").Range("C100:I100").Copy
    Worksheets("JobList").Range("A" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row).Offset(0, 3).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues

ThisWorkbook.Activate
    Worksheets("Markup").Range("B101:D101").Copy
    Worksheets("JobList").Range("A" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row).Offset(0, 11).Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste Link:=True
    Worksheets("JobList").Range("A" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row).Offset(0, 12).FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(RC[-1]="""","""",RC[-1]*1.2)"

dt = Format(CStr(Now), "dd mmmm yyyy")
    Worksheets("JobList").Range("A" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row).Offset(0, 14).Value = dt
    Cells(1, 1).Select

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
VBA Code:

Try setting that to True.

When it is set to 'False', links will be updated when the file is opened.

When it is set to 'True', when you open the file, you will be asked if you want to update the links, respond with NO.

Upvote 0
If you don't want the popup window and you know that you don't want the updating of links you could delete:

VBA Code:
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False

and simply append the following to the end of your 'open' line:

VBA Code:
, UpdateLinks:=False

Example:

VBA Code:
Application.Workbooks.Open Filename:=Environ("USERPROFILE") & "\Dropbox\SPSL Shared\Estimates 2021\JobList.xlsx", UpdateLinks:=False

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi JohnnyL
Thanks for the reply and my apologies for not responding sooner. I possibly worded my question badly, I do want links to update, but to the workbook, they were originally saved on. the problem I was having was that all of the links updated to the last saved workbook.
I have found a solution (or workaround) which is to close the "Joblist" wbook after saving the filename then opening it again to save the link. it obviously runs a bit slower.
I'm always grateful for any advice and it was while trying your suggestions that I figured it out so kudos for that.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keycalinc

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back