Stop number increase

RoydenC

Board Regular
I have cells coded JW11, JP53 etc which indicate which specification to follow in given circumstances. I wish to copy these to other cells- but the numbers ( when copy /"swiping" these to adjacent cells) increase - to JW12 and JP54 - and onwards...respectively. I want format cells to have this increment occur, or not occur in various places in the sheet.
How do I achieve this?

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Not entirely sure what you're asking but check out in the Excel help file about the difference between relative and absolute references.

Upvote 0
OK - please excuse the lack of clarity.
I have a cell with JW12 in it - this is not a cell number but text in the cell. when I use the "fill handle" - the black square at bottom right of the cell to copy this cell to adjacent cells - the text will increase to JW13 and then JW14 in the next cell copied to. etc etc. This is presumably a formatting option. I want to copy the information using the fill handle - and NOT have the increase ( in certain cases - ie for JW14 to repeat itself as JW14 in all the cells coped to ) and in other cases I DO want to have the increase.
My question is how do I control this formatting option?
My apologies in advance if this is very elementary!. I am sure it is. I have perhaps some embarrassing gaping holes in my Excel education! I hope you dont mind the indulgence - but I dont know the answer - and nobody around here does either!!
Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Hold the Ctrl key whilst you're dragging down if you don't want the increase
This message was edited by Chris Chattin on 2002-11-05 06:15

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back