Stop routine when blank is found

Subbie

I have completed my first project with VBA and grateful for the help for those members who responded. It has been a of great help in my learning journey.

The one annoying thing on one of the routines is that the routine continues and includes '0.00' in cells that should be left empty when the routine finishes. I would like it not to do that and thought a 'do' statement might cure it.
The routine concerned works and does the job. This is the working code:

Worksheets("BankRec").Range("F34:F73").ClearContents

Range("I2").Select
colselrec = "H"
colselamount = "I"
For counter = 2 To 40 Step 1
rec = Cells(counter, colselrec).Value
valuesrec(counter) = rec
amount = Cells(counter, colselamount).Value
valuesCur(counter) = amount
'Debug.Print valuesrec(counter), valuesCur(counter)

Next counter
Dim newcounter As Integer
Dim updaterow As String
Dim updatecolumn As String
updatecolumn = "F"
updaterow = 34
For newcounter = 1 To 40 Step 1
If valuesrec(newcounter) = "" Then
Cells(updaterow, updatecolumn).Select
ActiveCell.Value = valuesCur(newcounter)
updaterow = updaterow + 1
Else
End If
Next newcounter
' end of new code

MsgBox ("Data has been added successfully.")
ComboBox1.Value = ""
ComboBox2.Value = ""
ComboBox3.Value = ""
ComboBox4.Value = ""
ComboBox5.Value = ""
Worksheets("Master").Activate
Worksheets("Master").Cells(1, 1).Select
End Sub

I used -
IsEmpty(Range("I1")) (Where I want to look for the blank cell
do while isempty(range("I1"))

at the beginning of the routine and a Loop at the end. But the routine functions without any error but the 0.00's remain.
My two questions are: Is the 'do' code right and if so where do I put it?
As always grateful for any advice.
Subbie

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
First of all, the IsEmpty() function in VBA is not intended to check cell values. It is intended to check variant variables to see if they are initialized. To check for empty cells in VBA use
Code:
 If Range("A1") = "" Then
syntax. And to check for 0 or 0.00 values use
Code:
 If Range("A1") = 0 Then

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks JLGWhizz

I am new to VBA and am not sure how I would use the 'If Range("A1") = 0 Then' statement.

Could you be good enough to explain that procedure to assist my learning.

Thanks

Subbie

Upvote 0
Hi Subbie, let me see if this helps you out ...

Rich (BB code):
If range("A1") = 0 then
    '... do this code when the value in cell A1 = 0
End if
This loosely translates to :
- check the contents of cell A1 in whatever worksheet you're working with.
- if the value equals 0 then ...
- do whatever code you need doing when that condition is met.
- endif is needed to close the if statement. Every if needs an end if to close up the routine.

For example ...

Rich (BB code):
With worksheet("sheet1")                                                  'Referring to worksheet sheet1
     if .range("A1") = 0 then                                                'if cell A1 = 0
           Msgbox "The value in cell A1 is 0"                            'Display a message box stating value in cell A1 is zero
           Msgbox "The value in cell A1 is " & .range("A1")        'Another way of saying that cell A1 is equal to zero by referring to the actual value in the cell.
     Else                                                                             'Now if the value in cell A1 isn't zero
           Msgbox "The value in cell A1 is NOT 0"                     'A message to tell you simply its not equal to zero
           Msgbox "The value in cell A1 is NOT 0, but rather " & .range("A1")    'A message stating the actual value in A1
     End If                                                                            'CLoses the If / Else validation
End With                                                                           'Takes focus away from sheet1

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Ark68
Thank you for that. It was a very clear explanation and really helped my growing knowledge.
I used the code in three different places. There were no error and the routine carried out its function. However, the 0.00 still appear in Column I as below:

£2.00
£5.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
Total£7.00

<colgroup><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
What I am trying to do is stop the routine returning the 0.00 if there is no further values in column I. See my code in first post.
It searches for the amount in Column I and then compares it to the adjacent column H to find any blanks in the column ignoring any H cells that have the text YES. It then returns the amount in column I to Cells F35:70. It does it exactly right but then there are the 0.00's added, where there is no amount found in I and no Text in H. I hope i have been able to explain the routine OK.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Let me see if we can be clear on what your sheet shows and where youe want the 0.00 to disappear from.
1. Which column does the 0.00 value appear in?
2. Whch column do you want to evaluate to determine if the 0.00 needs to go away?
3. Are the values in the column with the 0.00 derived from formulas or are the constant values?
4. Do you want just the cell with the value 0.00 to equal blank or do you want to clear the entire row of data?
5. And finally, do you want to just clear contents or do you want to delete and shift cells?

the reason for these questions is that the code in the OP identifies columns F, H and I as columns that affect the outcome of the code.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Let me see if we can be clear on what your sheet shows and where youe want the 0.00 to disappear from.
1. Which column does the 0.00 value appear in?
2. Whch column do you want to evaluate to determine if the 0.00 needs to go away?
3. Are the values in the column with the 0.00 derived from formulas or are the constant values?
4. Do you want just the cell with the value 0.00 to equal blank or do you want to clear the entire row of data?
5. And finally, do you want to just clear contents or do you want to delete and shift cells?

the reason for these questions is that the code in the OP identifies columns F, H and I as columns that affect the outcome of the code.

Hi again

1. The 0.00 are appearing in column F35:70
2. The column I is searched for a currency value IF the adjacent cell column H is blank then the value of I is put into column F35:70
3. The F column is cleared each time the routine is run and replaced with new values
4. I want the cells in F34:70 to only have the currency values and be blank if there is no value found in I.
5. See above comment.
The code at the beginning of the thread is the code that works to do the job except for these 0.00's!
So in summary:
In column H the word 'Yes' appears if the amount in I has been reconciled. (A different routine does this)
The routine causing the 0.00's finds the cells with values in I that are not reconciled and therefore the adjacent H cell is blank.
It puts these values in F34:70 but if the I cell and adjacent H cell are both blank it posts the 0.00.

Upvote 0
Try replacing this
Code:
Else
End If
With this
Code:
    If Cells(updaterow, "H") <> "" Or Cells(updaterow, "I") <> "" Then
    End If
End If

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Thanks for replying

I implemented your suggestion the routine runs without errors but it does not fill in the F column.

Subbie

Upvote 0
Maybe it only needs to evaluate column I. Try this instead.
Code:
    If Cells(updaterow, "I") <> "" Then
    End If
End If

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back