Stop Text to Columns Repeating

dd/mm/yy

Hi all

When I run text to columns once, it continues to apply those settings if I paste something else in afterwards. For example, I run text to columns on some comma separated data in my spreadsheet, but then if I try and paste in a sentence including commas it splits the sentence into separate columns too.

Is there anyway to stop this repetition behaviour? I can't find anything on the TTC dialog or in the Excel options.

Thanks in advance

dd/mm/yy

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Text to columns isn't a setting, it's an action. So, Excel can't "apply those settings" to cells, something else must be going on.

Upvote 0
The only way I can see at present is to click in the formula bar and Ctrl+V to paste there. I wonder if you have a version of Excel that gives more Paste Special options ?

" It Is A Feature, Not A Bug "
(A quote from Microsoft on any subject imaginable)
:biggrin:

Upvote 0
BrianB, thanks for the suggestion, I'm using Excel 2003 but have no extra Paste Special options so can't get around it that way.

Here's an example of my problem:

I put the following data into Excel and run comma separated text to columns on it to split it into columns:
a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i
j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r
s,t,u,v,w,x,y,z,?

Then I try and paste in the following sentence and it also gets split into two columns at the comma, which I don't want:

hello, how are you?

This continues to happen even if I open or create another workbook, it only stops when I close the session and open a new Excel session.

GlennUK, I realise TTC is an action, but I was looking for a "repeat text to columns in this session" type option, if there is one.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks in advance

dd/mm/yy

Upvote 0
Are you using the Text to Columns Wizard that comes with Excel or some other piece of VBA or UDF to split your data? I could find nothing in the Excel help dealing with this occurance.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spenstar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back