Stop the "Enable Macros" Prompt

yoko

Hi,

Is there away to stop the "enable macros" prompt that pops up when ever you open an excel spreadsheet with a macro on it.

I know it’s a security feature to stop people spreading viruses etc using macros but its really annoying on some spreadsheets I use.

Cheers

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
You can use digital certificates to prevent it but every user will need to have the certificate installed. It's been a while since I looked at it but if I remember correctly there's plenty of good info on MSDN or via Google.

Upvote 0
You could always amend your security settings eg to Low (in which case the macros will be automatically enabled) or to Very High in which case they will be automatically disabled.

I wouldn't recommend either of these though. The setting also applies to all workbooks, not just particular ones.

Upvote 0
Goo afternoon yoko

Just a follow up from rjp's comments : you may well find commercial digital certificates prohibitively expensive. If this is the case you could use the windows selfcert.exe program useful. If you use a selfcert it will throw up a different warning stating who is the author of the file - still looks a lot better than the standard Excel macro warning box,,,

HTH

DominicB

Upvote 0
Thanks DominicB, as I said it's been a while since I used it but using the SelfCert method is what I was trying to recommend. It can allow macros to be enabled without *any* warning. At least it does on the workbook I've used it on.

Upvote 0
Hi rjp

It can allow macros to be enabled without *any* warning. At least it does on the workbook I've used it on.
If I remember rightly, using selfcert will open a workbook containing macros without warning only if the certificate has been generated on the same machine. If you open it on a different machine you do get a message, but it looks more professional than the standard "enable/disable/cancel" jobbie.

HTH

DominicB

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back