Stopping Text from Adding to Zero

danriske

I have a spreadsheet set up with formulas set to return "n/a" when meeting certain criteria. However, when I do a sum of only "n/a"s, this results in a zero when I need to return another "n/a." The sum functions are performed on a large quantity of data with multiple sublevels so I use the subtotal function. Is there anyway to stop subtotals with only "n/a" from returning zeros without manually inputing a sumif for the numerous totals in my spreadsheet? I appreciate any help!

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Those unfortunately did not work. It either still returned a zero or a "#N/A" error in the sum. Thanks though!

Upvote 0
Sorry, that was misleading. I have my formulas returning just the text "n/a" but the formula could be any text. Basically, I would like to know if there is a way to stop any group of cells containing text only from summing to zero, or returning an error. The resulting summed cell is still used in other calculations so if it returns an error, my spreadsheet will be off.

Upvote 0
Sorry, that was misleading. I have my formulas returning just the text "n/a" but the formula could be any text. Basically, I would like to know if there is a way to stop any group of cells containing text only from summing to zero, or returning an error. The resulting summed cell is still used in other calculations so if it returns an error, my spreadsheet will be off.

So what do you want them to sum to if not 0?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradel

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back