Storefront Web Scraping

DataBlake

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,
I have a rather complicated (to me) scrape to do, but i'm sure it would be simpler to someone experienced. I've never done any programming outside of local files so I'm unsure of most things with web scraping but have been trying to research. I know that i want to use XML request as to not actually open web pages as i will be scraping my own eBay storefront of 70,000 listings. eBay doesn't have a way for you to download your own information without API access. So i have to scrape my store

luckily ebay does have easy page navigation in the url. so i imagine i would loop through pages until the "0 results shown in all categories " is displayed which would indicate the end of the page navigation
example: Auto Addictions | eBay Stores

so for each page there are 48 listings (or less on the last page)
now for the actual things i need scraped, if you click on a listing like this

i need these elements
HTML:
#itemTitle
#mm-saleOrgPrc
.section > table:nth-child(2)
#descItemNumber
#container

if #mm-saleOrgPrc is not there then grab #prcIsum in its place
the table and container are what mainly throw me off. The table, or "item specifics", contains the headers on the left and the values on the right (so we only want to grab 2nd and 4th columns)
For the #container i need the Inner CSS HTML
#descItemNumber is also found in the url (i think)

here is an example of what the following listings should produce

**note i cut the HTML Inner of the description down a lot because it was a little much. separated the beginning and the end with periods.

Book1
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO
1Title:Price:Ebay Item Number:Condition:Back Spacing:Bolt Pattern:Bolt Pattern 2:Color:Number of Bolts:Manufacturer Part Number:Brand:Rim Diameter:Rim Width:Offset:Description:
2Set of 4 16x8 Mo970 Black Machine 8x165.1 Wheels Rims SILVERADO 2500$540.00 283545274424New4.58x165.108X6.5Gloss Black Machined Face8MO97068080300Moto Metal1680 <div id="compatibility"><h3>*Please Note eBay's built in compatibility checker . . . . . We have carefully selected the industry’s best brands to make sure you get the highest quality wheel available. Our team of wheel experts is always available (during business hours) to pick the right fitment and style for you.</em></p>
3Single 17x8 Black Rhino Arsenal ET 30 Black 5x120 Wheel Rim$220.00 372904320262New5.685x120TEXTURED MATTE BLACK51780ARS305120M76BLACK RHINO17830 <div id="compatibility"><h3>*Please Note eBay's built in compatibility checker . . . . . We have carefully selected the industry’s best brands to make sure you get the highest quality wheel available. Our team of wheel experts is always available (during business hours) to pick the right fitment and style for you.</em></p>
41 New 20x8.5 ET 35 NICHE Targa M131 Silver Wheel 5x114.3$325.00 283433240008New6.135x114.35X4.5Gloss Silver Machined5M131208565+35Niche208.535 <div id="compatibility"><h3>*Please Note eBay's built in compatibility checker . . . . . We have carefully selected the industry’s best brands to make sure you get the highest quality wheel available. Our team of wheel experts is always available (during business hours) to pick the right fitment and style for you.</em></p>
Sheet1

there is a lot of variance in the listings such as the Black Rhino listing does not have Bolt Pattern 2 in the Item Specifics Table
there are listings that have wheel and tire packages that look like this

for these i JUST need the HTML Inner for description, Title, and the ebay item #container
the description for these tire package listings i believe is "body > table:nth-child(1)" instead of #container
a qualifier for these listings can be that if the item specifics or description contain "tire"
or if item specifics has "Aspect Ratio" or "Section Width"

Book1
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO
1Title:Price:Ebay Item Number:Condition:Back Spacing:Bolt Pattern:Bolt Pattern 2:Color:Number of Bolts:Manufacturer Part Number:Brand:Rim Diameter:Rim Width:Offset:Description:
2Set of 4 16x8 Mo970 Black Machine 8x165.1 Wheels Rims SILVERADO 2500$540.00 283545274424New4.58x165.108X6.5Gloss Black Machined Face8MO97068080300Moto Metal1680 <div id="compatibility"><h3>*Please Note eBay's built in compatibility checker . . . . . We have carefully selected the industry’s best brands to make sure you get the highest quality wheel available. Our team of wheel experts is always available (during business hours) to pick the right fitment and style for you.</em></p>
3Single 17x8 Black Rhino Arsenal ET 30 Black 5x120 Wheel Rim$220.00 372904320262New5.685x120TEXTURED MATTE BLACK51780ARS305120M76BLACK RHINO17830 <div id="compatibility"><h3>*Please Note eBay's built in compatibility checker . . . . . We have carefully selected the industry’s best brands to make sure you get the highest quality wheel available. Our team of wheel experts is always available (during business hours) to pick the right fitment and style for you.</em></p>
41 New 20x8.5 ET 35 NICHE Targa M131 Silver Wheel 5x114.3$325.00 283433240008New6.135x114.35X4.5Gloss Silver Machined5M131208565+35Niche208.535 <div id="compatibility"><h3>*Please Note eBay's built in compatibility checker . . . . . We have carefully selected the industry’s best brands to make sure you get the highest quality wheel available. Our team of wheel experts is always available (during business hours) to pick the right fitment and style for you.</em></p>
5Details about 5) 17x9 Fuel Covert Black 35" Toyo MT Wheels Rims Tires 5x5 Jeep Wrangler JK JL283623003050<font rwr="1" style="font-family: Arial;"><font rwr="1" style="font-family: Arial;"><font style="font-size: 14pt;" size="4" color="#000000"><strong> <p align="center"><font size="4.5" face="Arial" color="#ff0010"><strong>*Please Note eBay's built in compatibility checker does not properly......................<strong>Most of the pictures we use in our listings are stock pictures provided from the manufacture.&nbsp; Actual product may vary in lip size, number of bolts and wheel size.&nbsp; Please verify with us before purchasing if there are any questions!</strong></p></font></div></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></div>
Sheet1

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :love:
even just articles that really break down each thing i need would be excellent

Upvote 0
Hi all,
I have a rather complicated (to me) scrape to do, but i'm sure it would be simpler to someone experienced. I've never done any programming outside of local files so I'm unsure of most things with web scraping but have been trying to research. I know that i want to use XML request as to not actually open web pages as i will be scraping my own eBay storefront of 70,000 listings. eBay doesn't have a way for you to download your own information without API access. So i have to scrape my store

IE automation and navigating to the web pages and scraping the information would be far easier than sending your own XML http requests because the latter requires you to analyse the http requests and responses that a browser sends and receives and emulate them exactly. With IE automation you look at the HTML of the web pages and decide how to get to the information needed.

If you want to consider the eBay API the following thread, although about importing orders, might help:

Upvote 0
If you want to consider the eBay API the following thread, although about importing orders, might help:

unfortunately my hands are tied by my IT department/higher ups so everything i have to work with is just excel and eBay File Exchange. Hence why i need to scrape rather than use the API.
I can't even have Microsoft Visual Studio or MySQL ? let alone apply for eBay's developer tools.

I'll be posting what i have thus far for scraping later today.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back