Strange behaviour and annoying

pcc

I am using Excel 2002 (Don't laugh!). I run a lot of VB code, most of which involves loading and unloading userforms, connecting to (eg) MS Access, etc, so all in all I give Excel a pretty hard ride. Sometimes (and I can't pin down any specific things that seem to cause this to happen), when code execution has completed, the leftmost (approximately 20%) of the working area of whichever sheet is uppermost is greyed out. That is, the row numbers are not visible, and the column numbers (those that fall within this area) are not visible either, There is just a pale grey rectangle where there should not be! Changing worksheets does not remove it, nor does adding new workbooks or opening other workbooks. The only way to get rid of it is to close the whole Excel app and re-open it.
I have lived with this for some time but it is annoying. Can anyone suggest a reason as to why this might be happening, and, more importantly, how to prevent it?
All suggestion welcomed.
Regards

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
When you see the grey bar on the left, go to Data>Ungroup.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I will try next time it happens and let you know..
Regards

Upvote 0
Thanks. I will try next time it happens and let you know..
Regards
You probably have some code in one of your files that groups data. If the code does not then ungroup the data before End Sub, then the Group mode remains in effect and the grey bar will display. If you can locate the code. just add a line at the end to ungroup the specified ranges and that will prevent the bar from appearing.

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying, but that's not it. I am not grouping any data. The greyed-out area literally covers 20% of the screen. I suspect it's a memory problem since the only way to clear it seems to be to close and re-open Excel. Anyone else have any ideas? Please see attached screenshot showing the problem.
Excel_problem.jpg

Regards.

Upvote 0
Something is blocking the screen painting for sure. Not so sure it is because of memory. Does it do it for random files, or just for that one file?

Upvote 0
update your graphic card drivers, how much memory, O/S versions etc

Upvote 0
Something is blocking the screen painting for sure. Not so sure it is because of memory. Does it do it for random files, or just for that one file?
Does it randomly on random files..

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back