Strange behaviour

folken2k

Hi All

Here's my first post :)

My excel is acting very strangely since yesterday and I don't what exactly has changed. let me explain with an example... say a worksheet with 3 sheets, all full of accounting figures. Now whenever I select a blank cell (on sheet 1) which I'll be using for a formula. I start with = then I select a cell on sheet 2 then as I press + to select a different cell either on sheet 2 or 3, instead of still showing sheet 2 or 3, I'm shown sheet 1 (the default one). Is there an option I've changed or something else? Thanks. :confused:

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Hi,
Welcome to the board.
I suspect there have been no replies because the question is unclear.

Can you give an example of what you want your formula to achieve?
What is the expected outcome?

Is it like cell A4 of worksheet 1, + Cell B7 of worksheet 2, + something else?

Have you tried the search tool at the top of this Mr. Excel site?

Further clarification would be helpful.

Gary

Upvote 0
Hi there,

You are prefectly doing alright, although you will see sheet1 selected (whitened) you can go on selecting cells of multiple sheets to create your formula and when you press Enter at the end after selecting different cells of different sheets, you will still get correct result in the current cell of sheet1!

Upvote 0
Sorry for the confusion. It's jsut that the way my excel is "acting" differently compared to any other users.

Here's (hopefully) a better and simpler example:

the formula: sheet1 A1 = sheet2 A1 + sheet2 A4

I select sheet1 A1 to start my formula. I press "=" then I go sheet2 and select A1. Next I need to get sheet2 A4 cell. Here's the problem, once i add "+" to my formula, excel takes me back to sheet1 instead of staying on sheet2 which doesn't happen to anyone else! It's a pain because sheet2 has all the figures I need and every time I have to switch from sheet1 to sheet2 when I need a cell.

I'm not sure If someone's changed my settings. I've got no clues at all. I'm gonna go nuts very soon :eek:

Upvote 0
I agree that it is acting strange, and my Excel at home (2002) or at work (2003) doesn't do this. I played around and changed many settings but couldn't make it duplicate your symptoms. Sorry.

Upvote 0
I tried to duplicate it as well but no success. I'm thinking that a re-install of office won't help. May need to create a new profile.

Upvote 0
tools options | transition. deselect 'transition navigation keys'
That must be it, when I selected 'transition navigation keys' it acted exactly as folken2k described.

I selected this thread to "Watch" just because this was a puzzle that I couldn't figure out. Thanks PaddyD.

Upvote 0
It works!!! Thanks PaddyD ;) no wonder you're a MVP on the board :D

Life is back to normal!

Thanks a lot guys!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SarahSomethingExcel100

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back