Strange Excel Mystery Window - need help fixing this...

Number1

Board Regular
I have a very strange issue going on as follows:

If I open a workbook, a "mystery" sheet opens up shortly after I open the workbook.
If I close the mystery workbook, it closes the original file I opened up.
There are no cells displayed and the ribbon is not displayed in the mystery workbook.
This installation of Office/Excel is only about three weeks old - recently had to re-image my PC.
Rebooting does not fix the issue.
Closing all instances of Excel and reopening the file does not fix the issue.
I have also tried repairing office but no success there either with the Quick Repair and Online Repair.
It is he Office 365 ProPlus version of Office.

I tried to include a screenshot of the mystery instance of Excel but could not figure out how to get the various HTML maker programs to include the screenshot when the code was generated so if someone can help me with that, I can post a screenshot of the mystery Excel instance.

Bottom line, what is this mystery instance of Excel and how to I stop it from opening?

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
There is no name listed. When I say blank, it is not a blank worksheet, I mean there area where the cells A1, B1 etc are normally displayed, it is gray with no cell lines or row designators or column designators, nothing in the top line of the window where the filename usually is shown, no menu's - there are no words, letters or numbers in the window. Only thing that is visible is the Excel icon on the title bar of the window, the X, check mark and fx where you normally enter a value in a cell. It is the weirdest thing I have seen and I have been using spreadsheets since long before Excel came along.

If someone can tell me how to share a screenshot of the window, I would could post it in this thread so everyone could see it.

Thanks!!!!!

Upvote 0
Hard to tell if it is the personal.xlsb file - there is no file name in the title bar. A repeat of my previous reply for more detail...

There is no name listed. When I say blank, it is not a blank worksheet, I mean there area where the cells A1, B1 etc are normally displayed, it is gray with no cell lines or row designators or column designators, nothing in the top line of the window where the filename usually is shown, no menu's - there are no words, letters or numbers in the window. Only thing that is visible is the Excel icon on the title bar of the window, the X, check mark and fx where you normally enter a value in a cell. It is the weirdest thing I have seen and I have been using spreadsheets since long before Excel came along.

If someone can tell me how to share a screenshot of the window, I would could post it in this thread so everyone could see it.

Thanks!!!!!

Upvote 0
When I first launch Excel the application starts but I do not get a new Workbook.

The application is running but to get a New Workbook I must press Ctrl N
Which then creates a new workbook.

Before pressing Ctrl N I see nothing but a empty gray screen with Excel Icon.

Could this possible be the same thing your experiencing?

Now if I double click on a Excel Workbook that was created earlier every thing works correctly.

I have just become use to this problem and live with it. Not sure why it's happening but it's not a big problem.

Upvote 0
My Answer Is This ---- What you described does not sound like my issue. It would be great if I could post a screenshot of what I am seeing in this thread but I do not know how to do that or perhaps private message it to you so you can see it. My Excel gets flaky when this mystery instance pops up. Also, when I close it, it closes the last file I opened - if more than one is open at the time - and stays there. It will keep closing the most recent file and stay there. Once the last file is closed, it disappears. It is very strange.

Upvote 0
Anybody have any thoughts on this. Any advice on how to share a screenshot in the forum so people can see exactly what is happening?

Thanks!!!!!

Upvote 0
Identified a new symptom. Open Excel file maximized. Open another Excel file maximized. Minimize one of the two files. Mystery file appears. Able to duplicate this several times. Searched the web on this new symptom and found a thread that said NVidia's Nview is causing this issue. Uninstalled Nview and it appeared to go away. Downloaded latest NVidia driver with Nview and installed. Appears to have stayed away. Fix can be found here: https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/...second-blank-window-opens-after-minimizing-of.

I will repost if the issue appears again. Thanks to those who responded!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back