Strange grey bar and numbers on left of screen

Blind_Man_Dan

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi folks

Sorry the title isn't better, but I just have no other way to explain it!

I've spoken to Microsoft on Live Chat and they've seen a screenshot and they didn't know what was going on so I'm really hopeful someone here will know.

Just so it's described in text (not that it'll make it much easier) on the left of the row numbers, there's a grey area, with numbers (1 to 6 at the moment) at the top, and on some rows a minus or plus sign. Nothing much seems to come of clicking the top numbers, except one hides row 3, as does the - sign by it. I've another sheet where this happens, but not so many numbers across the top, but loads of rows with the minus sign by them.

screenshot on imgur.com

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Dan

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Welcome to MrExcel!

Sounds like you have Grouping turned on. Go to the Data tab and click Ungroup and see if that clears it up.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion Eric, however this hasn't resolved it at all.

Anyone have further suggestions that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Upvote 0
Dan:

I agree that it is GROUPING. Select all the cells on the sheet then click on UNGROUP.

Without first selecting the affected range of cells, the UNGROUP will not perform it's task.

Upvote 0
Did you select the rows before clicking ungroup? asking because your image definitely looks like Grouping.
Try again (you will have to do it for each group) or try running the macro below.

VBA Code:
Sub ShtUngroup()
    Cells("1,20000") = "x"
    With ActiveSheet.UsedRange
        '        .Rows.EntireRow.Hidden = False
        .Rows.Ungroup
        .ClearOutline
    End With
    Cells("1,20000") = ""
End Sub

Edit: Please note that the code above assumes that cell A20000 is blank, below all the grouping and below your last row of data. If any part is not true then amend the code to a cell that matches all the criteria.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks both so much, my mistake, I didn't select all, and then didn't think it was working as I had to repeatedly click ungroup.

Do you have any idea why it's grouping rows when I've not asked it to specifically?

Thanks again.

Dan

Upvote 0
Do you have any idea why it's grouping rows when I've not asked it to specifically?
Happy that you sorted it out, but I'm afraid that I have no idea why it was grouped in the first place, as it isn't something easy to do accidently.

...and welcome to the forum (y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back