Strange Windows error that only affect my Excel files

Chartman of the Bored

Board Regular
I'm on Windows 10. When I'm working in Excel occasionally my screen starts flashing for about 1 minute (no pattern to when or why it happens ... it just randomly starts). During this time I can't click into any Excel cells or do anything in Excel. The other applications on my computer work fine during this time. When the flashing stops I find that the file I was working on gets migrated on the Windows toolbar (icons at the bottom of the screen) to the end (i.e., the far right of all the Excel files). Normally when I have multiple Excel files open I can't rearrange their order on he toolbar. But somehow this bug moves the file to the end of the list.

It's really annoying since it happens without warning -- sometimes several times per hour while I'm trying to work and I just have to sit there since it's not long enough to get something else done but long enough to be really annoying.

Anyone ever heard of this bug?

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
I've not had this bug but I've had something similar, where Excel & VBA would regularly freeze / stutter, and was caused by out of date drivers on graphics card. Might be worth checking your system is up to date

Upvote 0
Do you have excel auto backup enabled with a short time span

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richa mishra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back