String extraction help.

AncientOne

Everyone,<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I am attempting to extract and concatenate the following type string, extracting only those items not in parenthesis and excluding the /.<o:p></o:p>
Here is an example of the string:
abcd, efgh, ijkl (ok) / mno, pqr (need_help!)<o:p></o:p>

The string is not static in length, but is static in format regarding the manner in which / and parenthesis are used.<o:p></o:p>

I am easily able to retrieve everything to the left of the (ok) but I am having difficulties retrieving the “mno, pqr” out of the string and concatenating it without the follow-on (need_help!).

Example of what I have thus far and block where I’m stuck:</SPAN>
Code:
 .Cells(1, c).Value = Left(var, InStr(var, "(") - 1)      '& vbCrLf & Right(var, InStrRev(var, " / ") - 1)</SPAN>

I have attempted using multiple variations of Right and InStrRev along with the Len(var) - but I am just failing.</SPAN>

Can any of you mathematical Excel geniuses help me? I’m just stumped.</SPAN>

Sincerely,</SPAN>
AO </SPAN>

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Perhaps this:-
Data in "A1" Results in "B1".
Code:
[COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR] MG26May54
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] Sp [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Variant, Str [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]String,[/COLOR] n [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Long[/COLOR]
Sp = Split(Range("A1"), " ")
 [COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] n = 0 To UBound(Sp)
    [COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] InStr(Sp(n), "/") = 0 And InStr(Sp(n), "(") = 0 [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR]
        Sp(n) = Replace(Sp(n), ",", "")
        Str = Str & ", " & Sp(n)
    [COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] If
 [COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] n
Range("B1").Value = Mid(Str, 2)
[COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR]
Regards Mick

Upvote 0
Mick,

I am already in a for each i in MyRange loop - With MyRange2 and this is the 3rd ElseIf. There are additonal formats that I have figured out.

I went ahead and declared the n and the Sp using:
Code:
Sp = (Split(Range(i), ""))

then your for loop.

It bombs at the Sp - (Spllit(Range(i), "")) stating that Range of Object Global Failed. Everything is a-ok and as expected in the Locals window and I am not utilizing any globals in this sub so I'm still stumped :/

Upvote 0
If you have a column of these strings then you need to loop through each cell with the range with my loop inside, this outer loop :- perhaps:-

Code:
[COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR] MG26May12
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] Sp [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Variant, Str [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]String,[/COLOR] n [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Long[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] Rng [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range, Dn [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range
[COLOR="Navy"]Set[/COLOR] Rng = Range(Range("A1"), Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
[COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Each[/COLOR] Dn [COLOR="Navy"]In[/COLOR] Rng
Sp = Split(Dn, " ")
 [COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] n = 0 To UBound(Sp)
    [COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] InStr(Sp(n), "/") = 0 And InStr(Sp(n), "(") = 0 [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR]
        Sp(n) = Replace(Sp(n), ",", "")
        Str = Str & ", " & Sp(n)
    [COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] If
 [COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] n
Dn.Offset(, 1).Value = Mid(Str, 2): Str = ""
[COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] Dn
[COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR]
Regards Mick

Upvote 0
Yes Mick,

I am already looping through a row with 2 ranges identified, startcol and endcol variables as well as c representing the column in the above .cells(1, c) by the time I get to this ElseIf.

I will play around somemore. You are leading me into the right direction I just need to get what I need.

Thank you
=)
AO

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back