String functions not affecting format

toony

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Hi. If you can help me please. I have values column but it has simbles on each side of which I need to delete since I only need the numbers. Example: ~40464%
I have used the MID function and it does work. The problem is that the actual format is a date. I can't change the format because it has symbols on each side.
But when delete them with MID, it also cancels the format and doesn't let me to change it to date either. Tried to use the flashfill autofil but not successful.
=MID([@[Order Date]],2,5)

Is there a way to delete the 2 characters on the side of 40464 without deleting the existing date format?
I hope that the query is clear. If it is not apologies

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Hi,

Try:

=MID([@[Order Date]],2,5)+0

Then format result cell as Date of your preference.

Upvote 0
Does every cell contain one or both of those characters but no other unwanted characters? If so you could try the Replace function. You can also nest them into one line.
Replace(Replace([Order Date],"~",""),"%","")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does every cell contain one or both of those characters but no other unwanted characters? If so you could try the Replace function. You can also nest them into one line.
Replace(Replace([Order Date],"~",""),"%","")

@Micron , the proper syntax for REPLACE is in B10, I think you were thinking of SUBSTITUTE:

EDIT: Either way, +0 or something else (e.g. *1) should be added to convert the result to numeric, so it can be formatted as Date, like I shown OP in my post #2

Book3.xlsx
ABC
10~40464%4046440464
Sheet958
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B10B10=REPLACE(REPLACE(A10,1,1,""),6,1,"")+0
C10C10=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A10,"~",""),"%","")+0

Upvote 0
Never heard of SUBSTITUTE, so no. What I wrote works for me using the data provided:
?Replace(Replace("~40464%","~",""),"%","")

Upvote 0
Never heard of SUBSTITUTE, so no. What I wrote works for me using the data provided:
?Replace(Replace("~40464%","~",""),"%","")

Well, now you know about SUBSTITUTE.

I doubt REPLACE works the way you suggested, did you test it? - "Too few arguments" - error, see link:

Upvote 0
What I wrote works for me using the data provided:
That means I tested it? However, not in a sheet, but perhaps I missed that that was a requirement. Maybe a picture would help.
aReplace.jpg

Upvote 0
We are talking about a formula, correct? Try testing in a sheet please. If that works in an Excel sheet as a formula, you have a version of Excel that I (and probably MS) don't know about. (y)

Upvote 0
No, we're not. I'm using a vba expression. As I said, I never saw that it was a requirement to be a formula, which is why your solution is the right one.

Upvote 0
Hi all. Many thanks for your help. I tried =REPLACE(REPLACE(C2,1,1,""),6,1,"")+0 and it actually works with the correct date format :) .
Also tried =MID([@[Order Date]],2,5)+0 which works perfecto too. I am using MID function since it's shorter. However, if you can explain to me why +0 please just to understand the logic behind it I would appreciate it. Cheers

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back