String functions not affecting format

toony

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Hi. If you can help me please. I have values column but it has simbles on each side of which I need to delete since I only need the numbers. Example: ~40464%
I have used the MID function and it does work. The problem is that the actual format is a date. I can't change the format because it has symbols on each side.
But when delete them with MID, it also cancels the format and doesn't let me to change it to date either. Tried to use the flashfill autofil but not successful.
=MID([@[Order Date]],2,5)

Is there a way to delete the 2 characters on the side of 40464 without deleting the existing date format?
I hope that the query is clear. If it is not apologies

@Micron Yes, after seeing your picture in Post #7, I thought you were testing it in VBA, the "immediate" window is telling. So your solution works also, in VBA (y)

@toony All 3 formulas should work, Post #2 and Post #4, the reason to add +0 ( or you can use *1 ) is to convert the result to numeric, if not, Excel sees the result as Text, that's the original reason why you can't change it to Time format. After +0, Excel sees it as Numeric, which represents the date, then you can format as you like.

EDIT: Doing Any math to a Text representation of a number converts it to a Real Number, the long way would have been to use VALUE function in front of the formula without +0, like:

=VALUE(REPLACE(REPLACE(A10,1,1,""),6,1,""))

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
That's great. Thank you for explaining the +0 (or *1) so well. I completely get it now. Cheers

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lancelots

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back