String Loop Help Using VBA in Access or Excel - Need Ideas!

wareagle1984

I am stuck..the bottom line is I have a string:

String ="01/01/2014 I did this 02/05/2015 I just did this as well 05/06/2017"

Essentially I need to build the string as such:
NewString = "01/01/2014 I did this
02/05/2015 I just did this as well
05/06/2017"

I have been trying to write a loop in the string (and recordset) using a number of techniques, such as using INSTRREV to find character positions of the years (Note the years span over a decade) and inserting a chr(10) after the position but have not had much luck. I can do this in vba using access or excel - I really just need someone to help bounce some ideas off.

Thanks for any help or ideas, I am new to this forum but have a few years experience of VBA, Access and Excel.

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
You really have to analyze how consistent your string will be - depending on the approach, some or all factors have to be constant. In this case, I'd guess that my take requires the very first segment to always begin with a 10 character date. So loosely put, Mid function, begin at position 11 (i), test for numeric character (IsNumeric) if not, move to next, add 1 to i, repeat. When true, assign Len(string,i) & vbcrlf to a string variable, Mid over to i +11 and test numeric again. Rinse and repeat.
Probably flawed, maybe even a better way. I'll think about that as you ponder my suggestion.

Upvote 0
so now it's this?
"01/01/2014
I did this 02/05/2015
I just did this as well 05/06/2017"

Upvote 0
Thanks, I thought about that - the issue I have is this, think of this string as a comment field more or less so its subject to being highly variable. I think your approach would work, as you said, if I had some more constants in the string. I do know that all date fields are 10 digit, but the string may have 3,4,5.. sets of 10 digit fields. I thinking now about running through the string using a recordset and parsing out 4 characters at a time until finding the year, and then using a select case for each year to build in the line break...That made sense in my head but perhaps not how I just explained it!

Upvote 0
The length wouldn't matter and can be determined and used as a brake if need be. There's also the possibility that you can Split() out the dates if that's all you need. That would be much simpler, but I'm not sure I fully understand if you're just needing that or you need to break a long string so that dates are at the end of a line that is separated by paragraph breaks. This will grab the first date if the array is declared:
arySplit = Split("01/01/2014 I did this 02/05/2015 I just did this as well 05/06/2017", " ", -1)
Debug.Print arySplit(0)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So think of it like this...I am looking at each of the dates and for every date after the first one I need to insert a line break before the date so essentially it would look something like the following:

String ="01/01/2014 I did this" & chr(10) & "02/05/2015 I just did this as well" & chr(10) & "05/06/2017 I also did this and some more"

So what I have been trying is parsing through the string in 4 character increments isolating the years in a select case statement and trying to build a new string with the breaks. Thank you very much for joining in on this.

Upvote 0
I suppose breaking down your actual strings in a manner you've defined makes more sense than leaving the last date on a line of it's own. Maybe you could use the following more or less as is, or modify it to suit whatever sort of line wrapping you need. I went this route because you "guaranteed" that the dates would be 10 characters. The only thing I haven't allowed for is if a non date character is a digit. You'd have to apply further tests.
I get one leading space in the immediate window on the first line; not sure why but I'll leave you to take care of that.
Code:
Public Sub testSplit()
Dim strAddChar As String, strConcat As String, strInput As String
Dim i As Integer, c As Integer

strInput = "01/01/2014 I did this 02/05/2015 I just did this as well 05/06/2017"
strConcat = Left(strInput, 10)
c = 11
'start at 11 since we know Left 10 is a date
For i = 11 To Len(strInput) - 1 'unsure if -1 matters
    strAddChar = Mid(strInput, c, 1) 'check character at c (11 at start)
    If Not IsNumeric(strAddChar) Then
        strConcat = strConcat & strAddChar
        SendKeys "^g ^a {DEL}" 'clear imm. window; disable after testing
        Debug.Print strConcat
        c = c + 1
    Else 'character is a number (part of a date??)
        strConcat = strConcat & vbCrLf & Mid(strInput, c, 10) 'grab next 10 date characters
        SendKeys "^g ^a {DEL}" 'clear imm. window; disable after testing
        Debug.Print strConcat
        c = c + 10 'move pointer by +10 since we just added a date
        i = i + 10 'counter needs to catch up
    End If
Next

End Sub
OUTPUT:
01/01/2014 I did this
05/06/2017

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also possible invoking regular expression (but only tested on the one example):
Code:
Sub foo()

Dim str As String
Dim re As Object 'As RegExp
Dim myMatch As Object 'As Match
Dim myMatches As Object 'As MatchCollection

'//Microsoft VBSCript Regular Expressions 5.5
Set re = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")

str = "01/01/2014 I did this 02/05/2015 I just did this as well 05/06/2017"

With re
    .IgnoreCase = True
    .MultiLine = True
    .Global = True
    .Pattern = "\d\d\/\d\d/\d\d\d\d"
End With

If re.Test(str) Then
    Set myMatches = re.Execute(str)
    For Each myMatch In myMatches
        str = Replace(str, myMatch, vbNewLine & myMatch)
    Next myMatch
End If

Debug.Print str

End Sub

Result:
01/01/2014 I did this
05/06/2017

Upvote 0
Thanks, I never got into regular expressions. Maybe I should read up on it.
Then again, I'm at the stage when I learn a new fact, an old one falls off the shelf.:biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maplemeadows

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back