String Searching

arapone

Alright, I am not the most proficient excel user, but do have some decent knowledge of the program and functions. I am having difficulty with one particular search. I want to look up the greatest value in a row and display that value in a particular cell. The row can contain any letter from A-Z and as well - when a value is non-applicable. How can i do a search to display the highest value? I have tried using if statements going greater to and so forth, but its getting quite ridiculous when in certain applications, there are 50+ rows to search.

...or, you could wrap something like
Code:
=IF(CHAR(LARGE(CODE(AJ6:AO6),1))="-","","The latest drawing revision ("&CHAR(LARGE(CODE(AJ6:AO6),1))&") was submitted on "&TEXT(INDEX(AJ$5:AO$5,MATCH(CHAR(LARGE(CODE(AJ6:AO6),1)),AJ6:AO6,0)),"mm/dd/yy"))
to show no message if the row has only -'s

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
awsome!!

I had modified it to remove some of the text to fit it in a cell

="("&CHAR(LARGE(CODE(AH8:AM8),1))&") "&TEXT(INDEX(AH$5:AM$5,MATCH(CHAR(LARGE(CODE(AH8:AM8),1)),AH8:AM8,0)),"mm/dd/yy")

what about if it returns - to display in the cell (-) Not Yet Submitted instead of (-) 06/08/22 (which is displayed)

Upvote 0
(see my previous post--I posted another formula to deal with that)

Upvote 0
With this formula?

Code:
=IF(CHAR(LARGE(CODE(AJ6:AO6),1))="-","","The latest drawing revision ("&CHAR(LARGE(CODE(AJ6:AO6),1))&") was submitted on "&TEXT(INDEX(AJ$5:AO$5,MATCH(CHAR(LARGE(CODE(AJ6:AO6),1)),AJ6:AO6,0)),"mm/dd/yy"))

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You shouldn't have CODE(AH11:AM11) in the middle. It should be CODE(AH20:AM20) to be consistent with the other ranges.

The 20's or 11's or whatever should match the row that you're putting the formula into. (e.g. if you're entering to AI6, they should be 6's. If you're entering to AI29, they should be 29's)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtsheetz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back