String to Formula with reference to external source file

Mister Madders

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have two workbooks. One is the master file ("Master") and one is a set of edits ("Edits"). I must QC the Edits to the Master. In the Edits file I have a cell reference and a value/edit that has been made in the master.

I would like to build a formula in the Edits file along the lines of ='[master_file_name.xlsb]tab'!$A$1 that will reference back to the master file and show me the contents of the cell within the Master. Then I can a basic TRUE/FALSE formula to see if the edit is accurate.

I can go this far: =INDIRECT(CONCATENATE("=",$N$1,$D161))
- N1 is the text string for the external file name: '[Master_file_name]tab'!
- D161 is the cell address on 'tab' of Master file: $T$15891
When I try this in the Edits file it will return a #REF! I assume this means it cannot file the tab within the Edits file, but I am not sure how to tell Excel to reference the Master file.
I can get this to work if I manually select the specific cell within the Master, but that is inefficient.

I did go into 'edit links' to make sure the Edits file was linked up to the Master and it does appear to be.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Welcome to the forum.

I hazard a guess that your formula is referring to a file that is not open. The MS HELP article for function INDIRECT says: if the reference in INDIRECT refers to another workbook (an external reference), the other workbook must be open. If the source workbook is not open, INDIRECT returns the #REF! error value.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum.

I hazard a guess that your formula is referring to a file that is not open. The MS HELP article for function INDIRECT says: if the reference in INDIRECT refers to another workbook (an external reference), the other workbook must be open. If the source workbook is not open, INDIRECT returns the #REF! error value.
Thanks DRSteele. I do have both workbooks open when attempting the external reference. Both files are saved locally.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b1step2far

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back