Structured reference and offset

Jungan

I am using offset and structured refs in a table to create dynamic arrays.

=OFFSET(Table2[[#Headers];[number]];1;0;ROW([@number])-ROW(Table2[[#Headers];[number]]);1)

My intention with this formula is to create an array that grows in height for each row. But the return value is just a single value.

ROW([@number])-ROW(Table2[[#Headers];[number]])

this counter works fine on its own in a separate column in the table. It also retunrs the right value when nested which I verify with F9. But still the offset returns a single value array for all rows in the table?!

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Welcome to MrExcel.

To return an array the formula must be confirmed with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. To sum the values for example:

=SUM(OFFSET(Table2[[#Headers],[number]],1,0,ROW([@number])-ROW(Table2[[#Headers],[number]]),1))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply Andrew. I am sorry but I understand I didn't use the correct terminology. I am not looking for an array {} I merly want to create a vector(?) with offset. So no arrayformula is needed.
With offset I want to define a vector. I use the column header as reference, hard code the offset , and then I want to use the ROW([@number])-ROW(Table2[[#Headers],[number]]) to make the vector I define with offset one cell longer for each row. But it doesn't work. Offset just returns a single cell vector. Which is odd, because this expression does return a nice counter ROW([@number])-ROW(Table2[[#Headers],[number]]).
If I put this formula
ROW([@number])-ROW(Table2[[#Headers],[number]]) in a separate column and refer to that in the offset formula, I do get a vector that grows for each row.

I want offset to return this:
{10;20;30;40;50;60} but I only get a one value vector.
When I mark the counter formula in the offset it looks like it is counting up. But offset seams to ignore that input.

=OFFSET(Table2[[#Headers];[number]];1;0;{3};1) = 30
=OFFSET(Table2[[#Headers];[number]];1;0;ROW([@number])-ROW(Table2[[#Headers];[number]]);1) = 30 on the third row

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lets say I want to sum a running total in a column I could use this =SUM($R$1:R1) and just drag the formula downwards. I want to achieve something similar with offset.
=SUM(OFFSET($R$1;0;0;ROWS($R$1:R1);1)) this formula would give the same result and the range defined by offset would grow in length for each row.
Now I want to get the same result by using structured refernces as I have my data in a table.
ROWS($R$1:R1)== ROW(R2)-ROW($R$1)== ROW([@number])-ROW(Table2[[#Headers];[number]]) This works fine, but when I put the structured reference in offset as a counter, offset cannot handle the result, why?
I am not really looking for a workaround, this is rather excel formula exploration :)

Upvote 0
For summing this works for me:

=SUM(OFFSET(Table2[[#Headers],[number]],1,0,ROW([@number])-ROW(Table2[[#Headers],[number]]),1))

as I said in Post #2.

Upvote 0
Ah, you are right, it does work when I use sum. What confused me was that if you mark the offset formula in this expression, regardless of the row and press F9 excel displays just a single value {3}. I was expecting something like this {1;2;3}.

Ok so I had another goal with this but it doesn't work
=SUMPRODUCT(OFFSET(Table2[[#Headers];[number]];1;0;ROW([@number])-ROW(Table2[[#Headers];[number]]);1);OFFSET(Table2[[#Headers];[mult]];1;0;ROW([@mult])-ROW(Table2[[#Headers];[mult]]);1))
when this does
=SUM(OFFSET(Table2[[#Headers];[number]];1;0;ROW([@number])-ROW(Table2[[#Headers];[number]]);1);OFFSET(Table2[[#Headers];[mult]];1;0;ROW([@mult])-ROW(Table2[[#Headers];[mult]]);1))
and this
=SUMPRODUCT(OFFSET($F$1;1;0;ROWS($K$1:K1);1);OFFSET($F$1;1;0;ROWS($K$1:K1);1))

I shoul add that all these formulas are used inside table objects.

BR
Erik

Upvote 0
Does this work for you?

=SUMPRODUCT(OFFSET(Table2[[#Headers],[number]],1,0,ROWS(Table2[[#Headers],[number]]:[@number])-1,1),OFFSET(Table2[[#Headers],[mult]],1,0,ROWS(Table2[[#Headers],[mult]]:[@mult])-1,1))

Upvote 0
It does :) I don't know why I overlooked the alternative of using ROWS instead. But there sure is something strange about the excel behaviour here.
In any case thanks alot for helping out Andrew!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back