Structured Reference Formulas Converted Back to Cell references

paula_michele

Hello,

I have a workbook that contains many sumifs formulas which use structured references. The data in in named table. I noticed however that the formulas are now no longer structured but are absolute cell references. Not only do they not read as cleanly but they are no longer dynamic so if I add data to the bottom of the table, it is not included in the calculations.

I am using Excel 2010 although the original file (before I added the sumifs may have been in an earlier version although it was working fine). Also, I did make a copy of the file and renamed it prior to noticing the changed formulas.

Can I easily convert back? How do I avoid this from happening again?

Thank you for any insight you can offer,
Paula

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Welcome to the Board!

Sounds like you accidentally converted the table back to a range (it's an option on the Table menu). It's easy enough to reformat as a Table, but you'll likely need to redo your Structured References.

HTH,

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

Sounds like you accidentally converted the table back to a range (it's an option on the Table menu). It's easy enough to reformat as a Table, but you'll likely need to redo your Structured References.

HTH,

Thank you Smitty, I was afraid that I would need to recreate formulas :( The table does not appear to have been converted and is definitely still intact. I just don't want this to happen again since this is a daily report so I will continue to add data daily.

Upvote 0
The table does not appear to have been converted and is definitely still intact.

If your structured references have been converted and the table doesn't auto-expand then it's not a table anymore, but it's probably a bit deceptive because the table formatting stays in place. To get the table functionality back you'll need to go format it as a table again.

As for how it happened, who knows? Probably some inadvertent keystrokes.

Upvote 0
Thank you Smitty, I figured out that even though I was working in Excel 2010, the original report was created in an earlier version that did not support sumifs. So when I saved the report it automatically saved as type Excel 97-2003 which didn't recognize sumifs and so converted them to cell references. What I needed to do was save it as type Excel Workbook. I updated all my formulas back to structured, saved it correctly and all is working well now. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back