Stuck trying to create VBA code to Apply formatting based on Cell Values

CharBram

Hello Everyone!</SPAN>

I am completely lost trying to write code to apply formatting based on certain conditions in VBA because I have never attempted to do this before. Can someone share with me how they would solve this to help give me some ideas? It is important that I apply the formatting using VBA and not using conditional formatting because I need the formatting to “stick” easily as it is copied and pasted to other worksheets.</SPAN>

So, let’s start with a simple example of what I am trying to do:</SPAN>

I have the following table:</SPAN>

Col A Col B</SPAN>
Company A 1.99 </SPAN>
Company B 2.99</SPAN>
Company C 0.00</SPAN>
Company D 0.00</SPAN>

If a company in the table has a price in Col b which is 0, then I want the color of the text for that cell to be changed to White. I also want this to happen for the cell to the left of that cell. </SPAN>

The next thing I would want to do is to change the background of the Cell in Col A that has the text “Company A” to Yellow and also make the same change to the Cell to the right of it.</SPAN>

Can someone help me out and point me in the right direction with some sample code?</SPAN>

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Try something like this:
Code:
Sub CompCol()

Dim x As Long

For x = 1 To Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
        If Range("B" & x) > 0 Then
            Range("A" & x & ":B" & x).Interior.Color = vbYellow
        Else
            Range("A" & x & ":B" & x).Font.Color = vbWhite
        End If
    Next x

End Sub

Upvote 0
bbott,

Thanks very much for the code sample!!! It gave me a great place to start from and I then was able to modify it a bit to meet my needs. I actually have a lot of the tables I described that are right next to each other. So I needed code that would loop through that table and then move to the right in order to loop through the adjacent table.

I decided to use the offset function in order to achieve this because I couldn't think of a way to get VBA to move to the next column at the end of a loop. For instance, I can't simply change from column B to Column D by adding 2 at the end of the loop. Does this make sense?

Anyway, my code works as I need it to now, but let me know if there was a simpler/better/easier approach to doing this that you know of!

Modified Code Below:
Code:
Sub Cond_Format_VBA_Test2()
Dim x As Long
Y = 0

For i = 0 To 6 Step 2
    For x = 1 To Range("A" & Rows.Count).Offset(0, i).End(xlUp).Row

If Range("B" & x).Offset(0, i) = 0 Then
            Range("A" & x & ":B" & x).Offset(0, i).Font.Color = vbWhite
        ElseIf Range("A" & x).Offset(0, i) = "Company A" Then
            Range("A" & x & ":B" & x).Offset(0, i).Interior.Color = vbYellow

ElseIf Range("A" & x).Offset(0, i) = "Company B" Then
            Range("A" & x & ":B" & x).Offset(0, i).Interior.Color = vbBlue

ElseIf Range("A" & x).Offset(0, i) = "Company C" Then
            Range("A" & x & ":B" & x).Offset(0, i).Interior.Color = vbRed

End If
    Next x
Next i
End Sub

Upvote 0
bbott,

Thanks very much for the code sample!!! It gave me a great place to start from and I then was able to modify it a bit to meet my needs. I actually have a lot of the tables I described that are right next to each other. So I needed code that would loop through that table and then move to the right in order to loop through the adjacent table.

I decided to use the offset function in order to achieve this because I couldn't think of a way to get VBA to move to the next column at the end of a loop. For instance, I can't simply change from column B to Column D by adding 2 at the end of the loop. Does this make sense?

Anyway, my code works as I need it to now, but let me know if there was a simpler/better/easier approach to doing this that you know of!

You're welcome.

As far as simpler/better/easier, that really depends on your comfort level and ability with VBA. I say if you're code works, then use it. :)

Upvote 0
Well, it works for now! So, I will continue to use this approach! :)

One thing that does confuse me, is the following code:

Rows.Count).Offset(0, i).End(xlUp).Row

What exactly is this doing? Counting the number of rows that have have data in them so it can know how long to loop?

Oh okay, I did a google search and it looks like this rows.count counts all the way to the last line of the spreadheet. Then it moves to the last non-blank row in that column. But how does it know what column I want it to look in?

Upvote 0
I would actually change this:
Code:
For x = 1 To Range("A" & Rows.Count).Offset(0, i).End(xlUp).Row
to this:
Code:
For x = 1 To Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

This line is counting the number of rows used in column A. If, for instance, you wanted to count the rows in column C, it would be:
Code:
For x = 1 To Range("[COLOR=#ff0000][B]C[/B][/COLOR]" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
</pre>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back