Stuck with Relational Database

Welsh_John

I wonder if someone can help please? I'm trying to create a Relational database to record sightings I have made of railway locomotives on different dates and at different places. I've worked my way thro' some Youtube videos and also looked into how some other relational databases are related but nothing works for me. However, there is one thing which may be the problem. On some relationships I have seen there is just a line between tables but others have what looks like an infinity character (number 8 rotated thro' 90 degrees). What does this mean and how do I get it? Alternatively does anyone know of anybody who creates reasonable priced databases? I have been quoted between £500 & £1000 which for a pensioner is too much for a hobby database.
Thanks
John

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
1 to many (infinity) is the master table having many detail records.

1 car, can have many service repairs.
1 person can have many payments.

Depending on the complexity of the db, it could be 500.
but if its a simple tracking a train car and its service, then I may have a db for you, no cost.
Message me.

Upvote 0
On some relationships I have seen there is just a line between tables but others have what looks like an infinity character (number 8 rotated thro' 90 degrees). What does this mean and how do I get it?
That usually indicates the "many" side of a relationship (if you have a "one-to-many" or "many-to-many" relationship type).

When designing a good relational database, it is important to understand and implementation to first few rules of data normalization.
Here are some good articles towards that end:
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=27226
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/283878/description-of-the-database-normalization-basics

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying. I'm afraid it is more complicated than that. I tried sending a screendump of a spreadsheet page showing what I need but it hasn't worked.

Thanks
John

Upvote 0
I have a database that I use for a website. It is for ships, dates, ranks and crew.
The structure is the key.
You are welcome to a shell of it and amend it from there.?

Upvote 0
I'd really appreciate that (especially as I am also trying to create a database for ship sightings). Thanks
John

Upvote 0
Yes it will be blank. Whilst the data is on the website and so not confidential, I thought you would be better off with an empty one.
Take a look at it, especially the relationships, however if ranman256 has one for you, it will be miles better than mine, as this was pretty much my first database, and I have never needed to enhance it, as the data is static after being entered.

Database emailed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back