Style from /xl/styles.xml part (styles) Undreadable Content

millencolinf2f

Hello,

Our CFO has been working on the budget for next year using Excel 2007. Today when he opened up workbook the following error appeared:

"Excel found unreadable content in 'documentname.xlsx'. Do you want to recover the contents of this workbook? If you trust the source of this workbook, click Yes."

After clicking Yes, then another error appeared saying:

"Excel was able to open teh file by repairing or removing the unreadable content.
Removed Records: Style from /xl/styles.xml part (Styles)"

I click Close and the workbook opens, but the formatting for all cells has been cleared. Is there anyway of retrieving this information? I have tried copying the styles.xml file from an older version of the file into the new one, but this only eliminated the error message and still left the file without formatting.

Thanks for any input on this matter.

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Hello,

Our CFO has been working on the budget for next year using Excel 2007. Today when he opened up workbook the following error appeared:

"Excel found unreadable content in 'documentname.xlsx'. Do you want to recover the contents of this workbook? If you trust the source of this workbook, click Yes."

After clicking Yes, then another error appeared saying:

"Excel was able to open teh file by repairing or removing the unreadable content.
Removed Records: Style from /xl/styles.xml part (Styles)"

I click Close and the workbook opens, but the formatting for all cells has been cleared. Is there anyway of retrieving this information? I have tried copying the styles.xml file from an older version of the file into the new one, but this only eliminated the error message and still left the file without formatting.

Thanks for any input on this matter.
Is there anyway I can permanently fix this problem?

Removed Records: Style from /xl/styles.xml part (Styles)
Repaired Records: Format from /xl/styles.xml part (Styles)

Upvote 0
Posting reply since this thread was hanging unanswered, comes up at the top of most searches and the number of people getting this error is increasing.

The root cause of your problem is the same as "Too many different formats" error. Answer is here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-formats/5b2fdc26-ed5b-4459-8461-5d9d89ebe9a9. You must run your file backup (if you have one) through style cleaner process or else you will end up in the same corrupted state really soon. I recommend Open XML based utilities because they will remove inaccesible to VBA hidden corrupted styles.

Upvote 0
I'm also bumping this because I'm getting the same error, Repaired Records: Format from /xl/styles.xml part (Styles), when exporting from Access to Excel

Upvote 0
I know this is an old thread but the problems persists. I also came up against this issue and after searching online found that the issue was information that I copied and pasted from Ibm cognos Studio Analysis. I should have pasted it without formating. It seems that Excel isn't able to pick up the formating from Studio analysis. To resolve the issue I cleared the formating from the pasted information and the problem resolved.
How I got to this solution:
I copied the file to a test folder and fter very change I made in the file, saved it and opened it until the error disappeared - trial and error.
I followd the following steps and afte each step, save and open until he problem resolved
- delete all name - Formulas - Name Manager
- unhide all sheet - remove all !@#$%^&*() etc from sheet names and shorten sheet names
- delete sheet by sheet untill u find the error sheet
- in the error sheet delete rows and columns batch by batch until you find the error

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back