Sub Prematurely Ending When Inserting Row

dawn_sch

Hello! I just started working with VBA this summer, and I have found so many answers to my questions by just searching this forum! Finally ran into a problem that I wasn't able to find a solution to by searching, and I decided to post and see if y'all could help.

I am using Excel 2013 on Windows 7 to create a code that imports data from other Excel files and daily reports and sorts, sums like categories, etc. At this point, the user has already imported data from the database into the workbook using other modules (in sheet ProdSchd). My main sub allows the user to select multiple daily production files, then loops through and opens each file to extract the data. The main sub then calls the following function to find the date in the previously imported information, then returns that row so another sub can import the additional daily data into that row.

Sometimes, a daily report will be produced for a date that is not in the database. In this case, I am attempting to have my code 1.) Check to see if the date was a typo 2.) If the date is not a typo, enter a blank row under the previous date, then continue to import the daily production data. When stepping through the function, the code will run correctly until the line that inserts the row. The row is not inserted into the worksheet and Excel returns to the main function without executing the remaining code. Does anyone see any glaring errors or have any ideas as to why this happens?

Code:
Function date_row(dailyReport As Worksheet, Loads As Worksheet, ProdSchd As Worksheet, wkbToCopy As Workbook) As Long

'Declarations
Dim day As Date
Dim FoundCell As Excel.Range
Dim answer As String

day = dailyReport.Range("B1").Value 'Date of Report
answer = day

'Check to see if date is valid
Do While (IsDate(day) = False) Or IsEmpty(dailyReport.Range("B1").Value)
    day = InputBox("Please enter the correct date for file: '" & wkbToCopy.name & "' as mm/dd/yy.")
    dailyReport.Range("B1").Value = day
Loop

'If date not found, get user input
Set FoundCell = ProdSchd.Range("A:A").Find(What:=day, LookAt:=xlWhole)
Do While FoundCell Is Nothing And Not answer = "None"
    answer = InputBox(day & " not found for file " & wkbToCopy.name & ".  Please enter correct date. If the plant did not bag on this day, please enter 'None")
    Set FoundCell = ProdSchd.Range("A:A").Find(What:=answer, LookAt:=xlWhole)
Loop

'If date is typo, then find the correct date inputted by the user
If Not answer = "None" Then
       date_row = FoundCell.row
       day = answer
       dailyReport.Range("B1").Value = day
'If date is not in ProdSchd, enter new row under previous day
Else
    Do While FoundCell Is Nothing
        day = day - 1
        Set FoundCell = ProdSchd.Range("A:A").Find(What:=day, LookAt:=xlWhole, searchdirection:=xlPrevious)
    Loop

date_row = FoundCell.row + 1
'PROBLEM OCCURS IN THE FOLLOWING ROW
    ProdSchd.Range(Cells(date_row, 1), Cells(date_row, 20)).EntireRow.Insert
    ProdSchd.Cells(date_row, 1).Value = day
     'Debug.Print ProdSchd.Cells(date_row, 1).Value
End If

End Function

I have had trouble with Excel randomly ending subs in other modules. Is there some overarching mistake that I am making? Is there anything I can do in the future to avoid this? Thanks for taking the time to look at my question! :)

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
have a look for on error resume next and turn them off so you get an idea of where its failing, normally trying to select something that doesn't exist

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply! I added On Error Resume Next right after my trouble line, and it still bumps back up to the main sub without running through the other code. I do think that the problem is in the selecting the rows. When I debug.print my date_row, there is a space before the number in the Immediate window e.x. " 117". Any idea what might be causing this?

Upvote 0
not sure about the space, but could wrap with TRIM to maybe remove it

Upvote 0
Finally got it to work by converting the row to a string, using trim, then reconverting it back to long. Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back