Subdatasheets and tables

pq_Athena

I am setting up a large database I have one table that has a number of duplicate entries for the primary key section so I have set up a subdatasheet that combinies those entries so that when they are viewed on the attached form all the entries can be seen on one form(subform) instead of mutiple forms. When data is enteried in the form(subform) it is carried back to both tables, however if data is changed or added in the main table it is not appearing in the supdatasheet or in the forms.

The relationships for the forms appears to be set up correctly as well as the links between the tables. I am at a loss as to why the data on the main table is not being picked up by the subdatasheet.

Can anyone give me some advise or direction.

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Stay away from subdatasheets, they are resource hogs and can cause problems.

If you want to see multiple records do it with a form / subform instead; you should use forms for the whole interface if possible, and only have the tables in the background storing data.

Denis

Upvote 0
Stay away from subdatasheets, they are resource hogs and can cause problems.

If you want to see multiple records do it with a form / subform instead; you should use forms for the whole interface if possible, and only have the tables in the background storing data.

Denis

Thanks Denis, I have now done up the subform and when information is changed in the form if flows back to the main table, however again, if a change is made in the table the subform portion of the form is picking up the change but the top or main portion of the form is not. Any advice.

pq_Athena

Upvote 0
I don't understand... are you making changes directly in the table and then going into the form to take a look? If so, forget the tables. Do the data entry directly in the form. Also, you will find that if you make a change in a record, and stay on that record without specifically saving, you will not see the change in a related form. You need to move of the record for the change to be saved, and therefore seen.

Denis

Upvote 0
The main work is being done through the forms but because of the nature of information, some data needed to be changed and because of the large amount of information it was easier to make this particular change in the table side. If it is set up properly should these changes not transfer to the forms?

Upvote 0
Don't know. I avoid subdatasheets. Presumably, if you move off the record like I mentioned before, the change should be saved. You may need to requery the form to see the update.

If the data is complex, consider using a popup form with one record per page so you can better enter the information. There should be no need to go directly into the table.

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluedbw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back