Subscript out of range error when opening another workbook

rleribaux

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

For my job I made a pretty big workbook doing a whole lot of calculations and everything is working as it should but I run into a problem when I try opening other workbooks alongside it.

For some reason, when I open another workbook with or without any VBA-code in it, the private worksheet_change sub from one of the sheets in the first workbook gets called on. Here I get the subscript out of range error on the line below.

526233.PNG

The sheet this private sub is written on gets hidden with a macro as well. The error only happens after the macro has run so when the sheet is hidden. I tried solving it by writing "if worksheet("sheet").visible = true" at the top of the sub to try and ignore the code when the sheet is hidden but the subscript out of range just moved to this line instead.

And while I'm at it, as you can see in the note (these are for colleagues) all I want to do here is recalculate 3 cells after the code above this line has run but I only got it to work by recalculating the whole file. Is there a reason why worksheets.calculate and range.calculate didn't do anything?

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
After looking for a solution for a few days, I just found one right after I posted this. Replacing the "if worksheets().visible" by "if ThisWorkbook.worksheets().visible" solved the error. I still don't fully understand why the worksheet_change gets called on when opening a new one and why the calculate range didn't work so if anyone has any ideas feel free to reply.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back