Subtract timevalue from clocktime accross midnight

jameand

Hi, I need to subtract a TIME(a1, b1, c1) value from a clock time in "D1" and have the function work backwards over midnight. I have searched excel formula books, searched this board, and looked on-line with no clear examples. Is there a "function" I can use, or will a macro be required?
thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Think about this ... you want to subtract a time and have it work backwards over midnight. That means negative time! What are you expecting as an answer ... give examples. If you are really expecting negative time, what are you going to use it for?

Upvote 0
hello jameand and welcome to the board.

You could use this formula

=MOD(D1-MOD(TIME(A1,B1,C1),1)+1,1)

Upvote 0
GlenUK,
I'm not looking for negative time. I'm looking to have a shell spreadsheet that is reuseable for setting timelines for flying. I want to enter a desired time of arrival and then have a column of cells above that fixed time that can be used to automatically calculate a clock time that occurs before the fixed(user entered) time. I think this has to include the date and time aspects, but I can't find a clear way to do it. For example, I enter an arrival time of 03:00 GMT and the takeoff time is the function of a user entere enroute time of say, 5 hours. If I use the B1=C2-TIME(a1, a2, a3) where A1= 5hours. This will result in an error instead of displaying 22:00 hours the day before the user entered time. This is what I'm trying to figure out. Any direction?
thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Using dates will work

Hi jameand ,

your solution depends on how you want to enter the arrival time. If you want to just type in a time ( no date ), then use the formula that barry houdini gave you.

If you have the arrival time typed in like this
12/12 03:00 AM
in, say, cell C2, and have 05:00 typed in cell A1, then a simple formula of:
Code:
=C2-A1
will give you what you want.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back