Subtracting Two Dates

EDJC

I have two questions. What would the formula be for subtracting two dates to get the numbers of years, months? I cannot get my formula to work.

Also, can Excel take a telephone number such as (555)-555-5555 can place the phone number in another field such as 555-555-5555?

Thank you for any assistance you may offer, I appreciate it,
Ed

Ed:

Click on the below Link for an alternative to calculate the difference in between 2 dates:

Compare Dates

Also, for your information, (quote taken from www.cpearson.com), For some reason, Microsoft has decided not to document this function (=DATEDIF()) in any other versions. DATEDIF is treated as the drunk cousin of the Formula family.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
If you can't get datedif to work you can just do your subtraction and divide by 365. i.e. =(3/27/2009-3/27/2003)/365. Make sure your cell format is in number format.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I was using a capital Y, and when I used the small y, it calculated. And I switched to putting the latest date first than the most recent date.

Thank you all for your assistance!
Ed

Upvote 0
I have two questions. What would the formula be for subtracting two dates to get the numbers of years, months? I cannot get my formula to work.

Also, can Excel take a telephone number such as (555)-555-5555 can place the phone number in another field such as 555-555-5555?

Thank you for any assistance you may offer, I appreciate it,
Ed

I have about 10,000 telephone numbers that I need to sort and delete the duplicates. Is there anything I can run within Excel that will exclude the duplicates?
Thank you,
Ed

Upvote 0
Make use of the Advanced Filter Option. Excel menubar --> Data --> Advanced Filter, Filter the List in Place, Select the range, check the option "Unique Records Only" and finally click on OK. Once you do this, it will filter all duplicate entries and keep the unique ones. You can copy paste the unique entries onto another worksheet.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webster33

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back