Subtraction errors

rberman

This is probably a really stupid question, but I'm trying to subtract 2 cells (have been doing this for years) within a worksheet with lots of linked formulas. when I try to do the subtraction formula, I'm getting zero as an answer, or sometimes even an incorrect answer, even though the answer is not zero. Please help! I'm at my wits end :(
Thanks so much

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Hi Rosemarie

Welcome to the Board!

Can you provide example values that are being subtracted and indicate how they are not working? Thank you :)

Richard

Upvote 0
subtraction errors

HI Richard,
Thanks for getting back to me (btw,your baby is adorable!). I think I figured out my subtraction problem. I'm not an excel expert but I think I just found out what a circular error is (kind of). Now I'm having an addition problem... I've added 3 columns of numbers, with each value coming from another cell. In the third column, I'm trying to do the same thing, but my sum is equaling 0. My bottom bar is indicating Circular for the sum of the second column.
Hope this makes sense.
Rosemarie

Upvote 0
Hey Rosemarie - thanks :) He was having one of his 'well-behaved' moments when the picture was taken!

It would really assist me (and everyone else) if you could post a sample of your data (eg the formulas/cells giving you the trouble) by using Colo's html maker (which is an excel add-in). See the link at the bottom of my signature.

Without knowing exactly what the formulas are defined as (eg =A1+B1 or whatever) and their positions on the spreadsheet (ie the cells they occupy) it is very difficult to come to any conclusions.

Richard

Upvote 0
I'm sorry for the delay. I can't get the add in into excel. I have my macro settings to high and always trust add ins for security, but still no luck.

Upvote 0
Rosemarie

If you have your macro security settings on High, then macros are disabled by default. Try adjusting to Medium (which then requires you to agree to enable/disable on opening the relevant workbook).

If this doesn't work for you, another approach is to describe in exactly what cells you have these formulas (eg in cell B1 I have the formula: =A1+A2 or whatever) and describe the exact problem you are experiencing (and what error messages if any Excel is giving you). Hopefully then I will be able to be more help :)

Richard

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back