Suggest more efficient code for this loop on very large Excel data - Trying to cut down from 20 min

Rx_

Board Regular
Thanks for the previous comments. It helped me shape the design. The Excel Report generated from MS Access VBA is completed and working fine.
The only problem is that the code shown here for the loop takes about 20 minutes.
Any suggestion on more efficient way to accomplish the same thing would be appreciated.

This is a link to the Overview of the report:
attachment.php

This is a typical Excel Report generated with VBA from MS Access. The top represents a table for some of the Status.
The Rules 49..178 represent the Expected Result of a rule for that status. T = True, F = False and N = Neither T or F
So, when grading an Excel's Record's result - the top is the Expected (answer key) for each specific Status.

On the Excel Report, there is a list box. Choosing one Status - the colored Expectations are shown for that one status. Producing is chosen in this example. It is just to help users filter on one Status and look at the Expected Results as a visual tool.

In the Excel Data, Each Excel Record is matched to the Status Expectations. If T was expected and True is the answer - then the cell's background turns Green. If False was expected, and the data in the cell was False, then it turns Green. Green is a validation of the expected value. An Excel Record with all Green passes the Quality Assurance.

The VBA code goes through 20,000 records. For Each Excel record, it looks up the Status and the Expectation Key. Then, it validates each cell (column) in the record against the expected value. It turns the cell Green or Red based on that situation.

Some Records have a Status that doesn't apply, so it just skipps it (stays white).

The SQL Functions that create the data, the data pull, the basic Excel workbook creation takes 12 seconds.
The Code that changes the Cells into Red or Green takes 20 minutes.

The 20,000 Excel Records - times about 20 columns takes time, even a few cycles could speed things up.
Note: the ObjXL is just a reference from MS Access VBA to the Excel Application.
All of the code to generate Excel from scratch with automation is not shown. Up to this loop, it only takes 14 seconds to create.

Code:
4570    With objxl.ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet
                ' intRowPos - Header started at Row 5 in Excel
4590      For i = intRowPos + 1 To intMaxRecordCount + intRowPos ' Excel Data records known from SQL Recordset count.
4600          WorksheetCellValue = Trim(.Cells(i, "Z").Value)  ' Used to lookup Answer Key Number-
4620          Set OBJRS2_Record = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("Select * from [RE_4SegMatrixLookupTable] where [ID_WellsStatus1] = " & WorksheetCellValue, dbOpenDynaset)
4630          If Not OBJRS2_Record.BOF Then ' is record empty
4640            For MatrixRuleColumn = 4 To 24 ' Read each rules column ' skip 3 "override indicator column"
4650                MatrixRuleValue = OBJRS2_Record.Fields(MatrixRuleColumn).Value
4660                WorksheetCellRowColumnValue = .Cells(i, MatrixRuleColumn + 1).Value ' the +1 syncs rule 158 table column with rule 158 excel column per row
4670                Select Case MatrixRuleValue ' looked up the Status - now look at the column expected value for the data in Excel for that column
                        ' N is Neither True or False - so either  value in Excel passes for this profile key
                        Case "N"
4680                        .Cells(i, MatrixRuleColumn + 1).Interior.ColorIndex = 4  ' light green
4690                    Case "T"
4700                        If WorksheetCellRowColumnValue = "True" Then
                              ' T matches with True - turn background Green
4710                          .Cells(i, MatrixRuleColumn + 1).Interior.ColorIndex = 4 ' light green
                              ' for testing, change to Bold - then add backgroun later
4720                        Else
                              ' T expected true - turn background Red
4730                            .Cells(i, MatrixRuleColumn + 1).Interior.ColorIndex = 3  ' light Red
4740                        End If
4750                    Case "F"
4760                        If WorksheetCellRowColumnValue = "False" Then
                              ' F matches with False - this passes expectations turn background Green
4770                          .Cells(i, MatrixRuleColumn + 1).Interior.ColorIndex = 4 ' light green  ' light Green
4780                        Else
4790                            .Cells(i, MatrixRuleColumn + 1).Interior.ColorIndex = 3  ' light Red
4800                        End If
4810                End Select
4820            Next MatrixRuleColumn
4830          End If
4840      Next i
4850  End With

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Make sure there is an "Application.ScreenUpdating = False", in the first section you did not include.

Reactions: Rx_
Upvote 0
Correction - to change the Red and Green was 41 minutes. Each Excel report generated has the timer.
The Excel report generation runs with Objxl.visible = false

I added the following code just around the code shown above. Re-ran the exact same data. Now the Excel Report timer shows 116 Seconds in total.
Realize pulling the data from SQL server and the initial formatting takes about 12 seconds.
This realizes close to a 40 to 1 reduction in time for this cell-by-cell to DB look-up table comparison.

Code:
objxl.ScreenUpdating = False
  objxl.Calculation = xlCalculationManual 'To turn off the automatic calculation
  objxl.EnableEvents = False
  objxl.ActiveSheet.DisplayPageBreaks = False

<code>

objxl.ScreenUpdating = True
objxl.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic 'To turn On the automatic calculation
objxl.EnableEvents = True
objxl.ActiveSheet.DisplayPageBreaks = True

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back