Suggestion to find a subtotal for todays date only.

JeffGrant

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

I am look for some suggestions on how to best handle this scenario.
In my workbook, there are many sheets, and on a daily basis the data is these sheets grows dramatically.
One of the functions I perform is to record the the subtotal of todays figures on another sheet.
Because the contibuting data is getting very deep, using the subtotal function on each sheet is doing a lot of calculation for no reason, when i am looking for one figure, todays subtotal on each of the sheets.
I don't want to delete the contributing data because it used in other areas a well.

In a nutshell, I am looking for suggestions on how to calculate the subtotal for todays date only. I see that a possability could be to use the range.subtotal property, with the range being rows that include todays date.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance.

Jeff

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Have you considered using SUMIF or SUMIFS formulas, to only total the values from today's date?
You can use the TODAY() function in the criteria, so it will always dynamically choose the current date.

Note: Another thing to consider.
It really sounds like you have a relational database model. As such, these sort of things usually perform much better in a relational database program, like Microsoft Access or SQL.
They typically also handle large amounts of data much better than Excel does.

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi Joe4,

Of course. Thanks for the suggestion. All I can say is that sometimes, I am too close to the woods to see the trees :). A fresh pair of eyes is always a great benefit of this forum.

As for the Relational database, sadly many of the formula i use in this workbook are either extremely difficult to replicate, which I dont havethe skills for or dont exist in database programs. I am sure they can be done with enugh money set aside for development though. :)

Upvote 0
Hi Joe4,

Of course. Thanks for the suggestion. All I can say is that sometimes, I am too close to the woods to see the trees :). A fresh pair of eyes is always a great benefit of this forum.

As for the Relational database, sadly many of the formula i use in this workbook are either extremely difficult to replicate, which I dont havethe skills for or dont exist in database programs. I am sure they can be done with enugh money set aside for development though. :)
No problem. We have all been there.
Glad I was able to help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back