Suggestions, please

BenElliott

Board Regular
I have been working on an Excel workbook for booking talks in various locations and a variety of talks. This is to replace a small database programme that only works on Windows systems (PC or laptop) and only allows me to look at 15 weeks worth of data at a time and doesn't allow me to easily access some of the data. The creator of this programme cannot help me to customise reports.

The Excel database I have created is as follows:
DateSpeaker Full Name InCongregagation InTalk Number InSpeaker 1 Out Full NameCongregagation 1 OutTalk 1 OutSpeaker 2 Out Full NameCongregagation 2 OutTalk 2 OutReaderHospitalityChairman
25/11/2018Donald WilliamsLong Eaton85Brian WrightLong Eaton51 David HillBrian WrightPhilip Newbold
02/12/2018Trevor WalkerBolsover156 Colin BarnesBen ElliottBen Elliott
09/12/2018Craig O'ConnorBolsover9 Ben ElliottStephen HawkinsColin Barnes
16/12/2018Colin BarnesBolsover126 David HillPhilip NewboldBrian Wright
23/12/2018Mark BerryBolsover134 Philip NewboldCraig O'ConnorStephen Hawkins
30/12/2018Philip NewboldBolsover94 Ben ElliottBrian WrightDarren Saywell
06/01/2019Andrew SheppardHucknall84Brian WrightHucknall63 Darren SaywellBen ElliottTrevor Walker

<colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:2742;width:56pt" width="75"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:6473;width:133pt" width="177"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:6619;width:136pt" width="181"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:4315;width:89pt" width="118"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:5412;width:111pt" width="148"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:6144;width:126pt" width="168"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:2962;width:61pt" width="81"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:6509;width:134pt" width="178"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:5778;width:119pt" width="158"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:2340;width:48pt" width="64"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:4205; width:86pt" width="115" span="3"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

I would like to interogate this database to provide a report as this:
Philip NewboldAssignments
25 Nov, 2018Chairman
23 Dec, 2018Reader
30 Dec, 2018Talk 94 at Bolsover
27 Jan, 2019Chairman
03 Mar, 2019Reader
07 Apr, 2019Chairman

<colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:4693;width:83pt" width="110"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3882;width:68pt" width="91"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:2944;width:52pt" width="69"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3200;width:56pt" width="75"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:2901;width:51pt" width="68"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

The trouble is, I can't see how. I can use advance filter but if I filter for name in Chairman it will not allow me to see the names in other columns. I can use array formulae to extract chairman, reader or speaker and give the date of each but I can't see how to give the above result.

I would be very grateful if anyone can see a way around the problem. I am using Office365 but haven't yet received the update to allow Sequence, Filter, etc.

Thanks for your help in anticipation.

Ben

Basically, using the formula:
Code:
=INDEX(LocalHistory[Date],AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(LocalHistory[Date])-ROW($A$2)+1/(((LocalHistory[Date]>$G$1)*(LocalHistory[Speaker Full Name In]=$A$3))+((LocalHistory[Date]>$G$1)*(LocalHistory[Speaker 1 Out Full Name]=$A$3))+((LocalHistory[Date]>$G$1)*(LocalHistory[Speaker 2 Out Full Name]=$A$3))+((LocalHistory[Date]>$G$1)*(LocalHistory[Reader]=$A$3))+((LocalHistory[Date]>$G$1)*(LocalHistory[Chairman]=$A$3))),ROWS($G$5:G5)))

I am trying to see if any row in the Excel table LocalHistory has a specified name (Cell B3) after the date specified in G1 in one or more of the table columns [Speaker Full Name In], [Speaker 1 Out Full Name], [Speaker 2 Out Full Name], [Reader] or [Chairman]. If the specified name occurs in a row then extract that week's date.

As I mentioned, a name can appear in one or two columns but I am now out of my depth because I can't see why the date extract picks the next row up. For example, a name appears on the row for 14 April 2019. This formula returns the date one row above, 7 April 2019 if the specified name appears in two columns but it returns the correct week if the name is in only one column.

It's very frustrating. I try to evaluate the formula but with five criteria, I can't see what is happening.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
OK, so I'm think out loud here. I think I have found a work-around in this amendment to the formula taking your suggestion, Ras.

{=INDEX(LocalHistory[Date],AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(LocalHistory[Date])-ROW($A$2)+1/IF(((LocalHistory[Date]>$G$1)*(LocalHistory[Speaker Full Name In]=$A$3))+((LocalHistory[Date]>$G$1)*(LocalHistory[Speaker 1 Out Full Name]=$A$3))+((LocalHistory[Date]>$G$1)*(LocalHistory[Speaker 2 Out Full Name]=$A$3))+((LocalHistory[Date]>$G$1)*(LocalHistory[Reader]=$A$3))+((LocalHistory[Date]>$G$1)*(LocalHistory[Chairman]=$A$3))>1,1,(((LocalHistory[Date]>$G$1)*(LocalHistory[Speaker Full Name In]=$A$3))+((LocalHistory[Date]>$G$1)*(LocalHistory[Speaker 1 Out Full Name]=$A$3))+((LocalHistory[Date]>$G$1)*(LocalHistory[Speaker 2 Out Full Name]=$A$3))+((LocalHistory[Date]>$G$1)*(LocalHistory[Reader]=$A$3))+((LocalHistory[Date]>$G$1)*(LocalHistory[Chairman]=$A$3)))),ROWS($G$5:G5)))}

This is looking at the sum of the criteria, taking Logical test * Logical test = either 0 or 1. If multiple criteria can apply then the sum of the logical tests can be greater than 1. Hence I test whether the criteria is greater than 1. If it is then use 1 as the result otherwise just accept the result. This is now giving the correct output result and showing the correct date plus the correct output in columns "Reader" and "Chairman"

I am grateful for your feedback because it has made me go back to first principles, creating a test workbook and testing each individual aspect of the formula, looking at the intermittent results.

I still don't see why it was giving the wrong row number but at least the result justifies the method.

Ben

Upvote 0
You're welcome Ben,

It's always tricky when using formulas to transform your data, I'm glad your getting closer to a solution.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back