Sum cells offset from another

DrH100

Board Regular
Hi,
I'm looking for a formula that can look through a worksheet, find a value and add together the cells next to it.

In essence I have a sheet that could have a value eg Oranges a number of times anywhere on it.

What I would like to be able to do is have a formula that looks for all the occurrences of "Oranges" and adds together the cells next to them. Ie if "Oranges" is in A1, D5, G32 I would want the total of the number in B1, E5 and H32.

Theoretically there is no limit to the number of times "Oranges" could appear but also no structure to the data (other than the next cell will always be a number)

I suppose I could use VBA to look through but was hoping there might be someway of doing it with a formula (Sumif and OFFSET maybe) as there may well be a need to look for different values at different times

Any thoughts appreciated.

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Based on your examples
Excel Formula:
=SUMIF(B:H,"Oranges",A:G)
nothing else needed. As long as both the sum range and criteria range are of equal size, sumif will work fine.

Upvote 0
Anywhere on the sheet can be tricky as the sheet is rather large, i have created a find loop to test. It would not matter where the values were in the sheet.
I know you stated formula but thought i would leave it here anyway:
VBA Code:
Sub FindInRange()
    Dim howManyInRange As Long
    Dim foundCount As Long
    Dim oFindRange As Range
    Dim rngSearch As Range
    Dim srchVal As String
    Dim rSum As Double

srchVal = "Oranges"
    Set rngSearch = Sheets("Sheet1").Cells

howManyInRange = Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(rngSearch, srchVal)

Set oFindRange = Range("A1")
    If Not howManyInRange = 0 Then
        Do
            Set oFindRange = rngSearch.Find(what:=srchVal, After:=oFindRange)
            foundCount = foundCount + 1
            rSum = rSum + oFindRange.Offset(, 1).Value
        Loop While Not foundCount >= howManyInRange
    End If

MsgBox "Oranges sum: " & rSum
End Sub

The good thing about this method is it will not be bogged down if the value is found in row 999,999 as it uses find.

Upvote 0
Based on your examples
Excel Formula:
=SUMIF(B:H,"Oranges",A:G)
nothing else needed. As long as both the sum range and criteria range are of equal size, sumif will work fine.
Thanks very much - over thinking it as always.
I had to flip the ranges around but then it worked so thanks very much

Upvote 0
Anywhere on the sheet can be tricky as the sheet is rather large, i have created a find loop to test. It would not matter where the values were in the sheet.
I know you stated formula but thought i would leave it here anyway:
VBA Code:
Sub FindInRange()
    Dim howManyInRange As Long
    Dim foundCount As Long
    Dim oFindRange As Range
    Dim rngSearch As Range
    Dim srchVal As String
    Dim rSum As Double

srchVal = "Oranges"
    Set rngSearch = Sheets("Sheet1").Cells

howManyInRange = Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(rngSearch, srchVal)

Set oFindRange = Range("A1")
    If Not howManyInRange = 0 Then
        Do
            Set oFindRange = rngSearch.Find(what:=srchVal, After:=oFindRange)
            foundCount = foundCount + 1
            rSum = rSum + oFindRange.Offset(, 1).Value
        Loop While Not foundCount >= howManyInRange
    End If

MsgBox "Oranges sum: " & rSum
End Sub

The good thing about this method is it will not be bogged down if the value is found in row 999,999 as it uses find.
Thanks very much. "Anywhere on the sheet" was a bit vague and I'm sure when I get the final dataset it will be much smaller than that but was thinking of all eventualities but thanks for this as if it is too big I may well give this a go. Thanks very much

Upvote 0
I had to flip the ranges around but then it worked
Oops, I've got mixed up with SUMIF and SUMIFS again, glad you were able to figure it out :)

A quick heads up on the vba alternative, with a large data range and only a few cells meeting the criteria it should work great, if you have a lot of cells meeting the criteria then it may be slow. I made the mistake of looping on a range.find with a lot of matches once and remember it taking ages, unfortunately I don't recall what this was for so I'm not able to look for it and see if I found a faster way (don't think I did though).

Upvote 0
Oops, I've got mixed up with SUMIF and SUMIFS again, glad you were able to figure it out :)

A quick heads up on the vba alternative, with a large data range and only a few cells meeting the criteria it should work great, if you have a lot of cells meeting the criteria then it may be slow. I made the mistake of looping on a range.find with a lot of matches once and remember it taking ages, unfortunately I don't recall what this was for so I'm not able to look for it and see if I found a faster way (don't think I did though).
Thanks very much

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back