Sum data

Howdy1

Board Regular
Hi,

I am trying to sum a range of data based on two critier in two columns. Below are the example,

ColA ColB ColC
1 OnShore 80
2 OffShore 20
3 OnShore 50
1 OffShore 50
1 OnShore 50

Basically, I need to report for the above data with the same ColA and ColB criteria. I could get to the result with the concatenation with sumif(). I wonder if there is any better formula to summarize the result for ColC with the same ColA and ColB?

Thanks,

Howdy

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
For 1 and Onshore try

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A10=1),--(B1:B10="Onshore"),C1:C10)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the answer. But I tested and it return 0 even though there is data that meets the criteria. I read the formula definition and it seems trying to multiply all arrays. In my case, since colB is a nonnumberic data, it wil assign 0. I assume that that is why I got 0 in my result.

Upvote 0
Make sure that column B doesn't contain leading or trailing spaces. Here's the result I get with your sample data:

<b>Sheet5</b><br /><br /><table border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; padding-left:2pt; padding-right:2pt; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:61px;" /><col style="width:64px;" /><col style="width:64px;" /><col style="width:64px;" /><col style="width:64px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td><td >D</td><td >E</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td style="text-align:right; ">1</td><td >OnShore</td><td style="text-align:right; ">80</td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">130</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td style="text-align:right; ">2</td><td >OffShore</td><td style="text-align:right; ">20</td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >3</td><td style="text-align:right; ">3</td><td >OnShore</td><td style="text-align:right; ">50</td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >4</td><td style="text-align:right; ">1</td><td >OffShore</td><td style="text-align:right; ">50</td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >5</td><td style="text-align:right; ">1</td><td >OnShore</td><td style="text-align:right; ">50</td><td > </td><td > </td></tr></table><br /><table style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; border-style: groove ;border-color:#00ff00;background-color:#fffcf9; color:#000000; "><tr><td ><b>Spreadsheet Formulas</b></td></tr><tr><td ><table border = "1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt;"><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; font-size:10pt;"><td >Cell</td><td >Formula</td></tr><tr><td >E1</td><td >=SUMPRODUCT(--<span style=' color:008000; '>(A1:A10=1)</span>,--<span style=' color:008000; '>(B1:B10="Onshore")</span>,C1:C10)</td></tr></table></td></tr></table> <br />Excel tables to the web - Excel Jeanie Html 4

Upvote 0
Thanks. Just curious, Why the -- before the array?
The argument (A1:A10=1) evaluates to TRUE/FALSE. The -- is used to Coerce the result to 1/0. You could also use (A1:A10=1)+0 or (A1:A10=1)*1

lenze

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back