Sum from multiple column

pranamu

Board Regular
Hello Expertise,

I need a favor from you. I have some data like below where a project is done by multiple vendor and their expenses is given in multiple column.
Project ABC is done by Santosh and Steph in first phase and for the same project Scott is also involved in 2nd phase
Projectv1 Namev1 Valuev2 Namev2 Valuev3 Namev3 Value
ABCSantosh
1500​
0​
0​
Steph
735​
ABCScott
1000​
Scott
1250​
0​
0​
ABC 1Steph
300​
Steph
400​
Sharon
735​
ABC 1Mike
750​
0​
0​
0​
0​
ABC 2Sharon
825​
0​
0​
Scott
135​

Now I want to add all of these vendors cost in one row under their cell as per project. Let's say if any of below vendors are involved on the project their expenses should be added.
ProjectSantoshScottStephMikeSharon
ABC
ABC 1
ABC 2

Can someone please help me on this? any kind of formula will be helpful
Thanks you so much in advance.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Hi,
Have you tried to insert a Pivot Table ?

Upvote 0
@pranamu, what version of excel do you have? If you have 2010 or later you can unpivot your mixed crosstab into a flat file with Power Query and then make the pivot table as @James006 suggests. You would also be able to use formulas much easier with the flat file.

How big is your data?

Upvote 0
@awoohaw

You are 100% right ... !!!
Hopefully OP does know the difference between CrossTab and Flat File ...

For the OP :
A macro can very easily transform any crosstab worksheet into a proper DataBase
However, if you need a smart, simple solution without macros :

Upvote 0
I haven't tried pivot yet, can I have some formula please. I want this to be done through formula instead pivot

Upvote 0
I haven't tried pivot yet, can I have some formula please. I want this to be done through formula instead pivot
As explained above ... there are two distinct questions by order of priority :

1. Your Data Structure

2. The Method to Analyze (Formula or Pivot)

Upvote 0
@pranamu , you can't really pivot your data as it is because it is somewhat pivoted already. You need to get your data into only three columns first: Project, Name, Value. From their you can make a new pivot report or use formulas to present the data how you want.

Upvote 0
As explained above ... there are two distinct questions by order of priority :

1. Your Data Structure

2. The Method to Analyze (Formula or Pivot)
This is how I receive data from vendor on a daily basis and creating pivot on a daily basis will unnecessarily require to additional time. If I have formula to do so it will be easier for me, just dump the data daily and report is prepared.

Upvote 0
I
This is how I receive data from vendor on a daily basis and creating pivot on a daily basis will unnecessarily require to additional time. If I have formula to do so it will be easier for me, just dump the data daily and report is prepared.
tried using Pivot table and pivot chart wizard the project is being duplicated and vendor name too on the multiple row. So It's not helping me

Upvote 0
@pranamu , you can't really pivot your data as it is because it is somewhat pivoted already. You need to get your data into only three columns first: Project, Name, Value. From their you can make a new pivot report or use formulas to present the data how you want.

Do not forget to read all messages posted to your attention

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back