Sum N number of values from a list, highest first.

SW1044

Hi,

I couldn't think of a clear way to title this post I'm afraid!

In this example there are several different products for sale and we record the number of each that are sold. Each product has a commission payment and the sales person receives commission for all sales EXCEPT 4 sales of the lowest ranked items.

The items are ranked with the lowest on the left. So to do this manually we start with the leftmost item and count the sales until we reach 4 sales. Then from the 5th sale onwards we multipy the sales by the commission figures and add the results up to arrive at the final commission figure.

I've given this a lot of thought and can't think of any way to achieve it without VBA. Unfortunately my Excel VBA skills are not up to the job!

I've be very grateful for any solutions or pointers thanks in advance.

6328429931_04424267b6_b.jpg

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Can you explain how you calculated the commission figures in your sample data please?

Hi Andrew, we calculated them on paper (as decribed in para 3) and then we typed the figure in to the cell.

If this isn't clear I'll elaborate.

Cheers, Scott.

Upvote 0
Which version of excel are you using?

I have a way to do this without VBA, which would be easier with excel 07 onwards and a couple of helper columns.

Upvote 0
Which version of excel are you using?

I have a way to do this without VBA, which would be easier with excel 07 onwards and a couple of helper columns.

Thanks, we have Excel 2010. I've be very intested to see how it's done without VBA.

Upvote 0
I assume that Andrew asked about the commission calculations because the results don't seem to match your description

For row 4 there's a 10 in E4 so presumably you reduce that by 4 (to 6) and then all the other figures count, so assuming commissions in row 1 you get

=(6*1)+(5*5)+(2*5)+(1*10)=51

Your figure is 75, how do you get that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I assume that Andrew asked about the commission calculations because the results don't seem to match your description

For row 4 there's a 10 in E4 so presumably you reduce that by 4 (to 6) and then all the other figures count, so assuming commissions in row 1 you get

My sentiments exactly. ;)

Upvote 0

My math says:
4 or less sold is 5.00
For each item sold over 4 pieces, another 5.00 is added.

In that case they did mess up the last line, which should be 50.
(which is also why it'd be wiser for them to hard-code the formula into Excel :) )

Upvote 0
This appears to have the right results, hopefully Andrew or Barry will notice any errors that I've missed.

Excel Workbook
EFGHIJKLMNOPQR
3Total SoldOver 4HelperCommission
55082100016122 59.00
60010000010 -
730320001954 30.00
8408100001394 45.00
Sheet1

Upvote 0
My math says:
4 or less sold is 5.00
For each item sold over 4 pieces, another 5.00 is added.

In that case they did mess up the last line, which should be 50.
(which is also why it'd be wiser for them to hard-code the formula into Excel :) )

I don't understand that, aren't you using the commission figures in E1:L1?

This formula in P4 should give you the same results as Jason's without any helper columns

=SUM(IF(SUBTOTAL(9,OFFSET(D4,0,0,1,COLUMN(E4:L4)-COLUMN(E4)+1))< SUM(D4,4),TEXT(E4:L4+SUBTOTAL(9,OFFSET(D4,0,0,1,COLUMN(E4:L4)-COLUMN(E4)+1))-SUM(D4,4),"[<0]""0"";0"),E4:L4)*E$1:L$1)

confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER and copied down

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back