Sum of remainder or smallest number/s

FRANKPM

Hi I was wondering if any one could help me. I want to count the smallest numbers in a range of 10 cells after omitting the 4 largest. I have been using the formula =SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(LARGE(E5:N5,{1,2,3,4})),LARGE(E5:N5,{1,2,3,4})),D5), (Thanks to Robert Mikka). This works perfectly in that in the desired cell it enters the 4 largest numbers and a specified cell. I then want to be able to total the remainder. Can anyone help

Is it possible for you to forget all of the suggested formulas and just to post per record the outcome you want to see?

Aladin

It is definitely possible to do that and I have a cell that flags when I need to omit a number. I was just trying to follow this to the end. As I said earlier, out of three hundred entries I have only noticed one incident and although there could be more on a different day it is still unlikely to be a lot.

Thanks for all you help.
Frank

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Robert
Your formula does the same as Aladins, in that it also will not omit the 5th largest number if it is the same as the 4th largest.

Again thanks for your help on this and the earlier formula.

Frank

Upvote 0
Aladin

It is definitely possible to do that and I have a cell that flags when I need to omit a number. I was just trying to follow this to the end. As I said earlier, out of three hundred entries I have only noticed one incident and although there could be more on a different day it is still unlikely to be a lot.

Thanks for all you help.
Frank

Are you after summing all values except 4 largest plus the one you flag as the value to omit?

Upvote 0
Are you after summing all values except 4 largest plus the one you flag as the value to omit?

I was looking to sum all of the cells from cell 2 to 11 minus the four largest. It would return a zero if there were only four or less cells(CORRECT ANS). I would sum all cells in excess of the 4 largest(CORRECT ANS). However if any cell was equal to any of the 4 largest it would get the answer wrong. So if I had 10 9 8 7 7 5 5 5 it would give an answer of 15, when it should give an answer of 22. If I had 10 9 7 7 7 7 7 5, it would give an answer of 5 instead of 26.

But as you suggested yesterday I can manually fill in the cell in those instances.
Thanks
Frank

Upvote 0
I was looking to sum all of the cells from cell 2 to 11 minus the four largest. It would return a zero if there were only four or less cells(CORRECT ANS). I would sum all cells in excess of the 4 largest(CORRECT ANS). However if any cell was equal to any of the 4 largest it would get the answer wrong. So if I had 10 9 8 7 7 5 5 5 it would give an answer of 15, when it should give an answer of 22. If I had 10 9 7 7 7 7 7 5, it would give an answer of 5 instead of 26.

But as you suggested yesterday I can manually fill in the cell in those instances.
Thanks
Frank

Result
109877555 22
109777775 26

<colgroup><col style="width: 48pt;" span="10" width="64"> <tbody>
</tbody>

J2, copied down:

=IF(COUNT(A2:H2)>4,SUM(A2:H2)-SUM(LARGE(A2:H2,{1,2,3,4})),0)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back