Sum of visible prices in column only

jwdemo

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2013
I have a sheet showing many different items from many different grocery departments and cost variances associated with each item. I want a total at the top that will add togeteher all of the visible prices in the cost variance column. When I use =SUM, it is adding everything in the column whether it is filtered out or not.

Any advice on what formula to use that would only sum visible prices?

Thanks so much for the help!

Jess
capture.png

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
SUBTOTAL is actually a composite function, it does a lot of things. COUNT, COUNTA, MAX, MIN, PRODUCT, SUM, etc. The main reason it exists is to provide the ability to ignore hidden rows. So the first value, 109 here, means SUM. A 9 just means SUM, but ignore any rows that have been filtered. If you add 100 to it, it ignores any filtered rows, plus any rows you manually hide. To see what the other options there are, you can look at the Intellisense when you type in the formula, or Google the SUBTOTAL function.

Upvote 0
SUBTOTAL is actually a composite function, it does a lot of things. COUNT, COUNTA, MAX, MIN, PRODUCT, SUM, etc. The main reason it exists is to provide the ability to ignore hidden rows. So the first value, 109 here, means SUM. A 9 just means SUM, but ignore any rows that have been filtered. If you add 100 to it, it ignores any filtered rows, plus any rows you manually hide. To see what the other options there are, you can look at the Intellisense when you type in the formula, or Google the SUBTOTAL function.
Awesome, thanks! I really appreciate the help and the extra info.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juggernaut24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back